Blood glucose levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiffcam13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
just looking for some advice. Diagnosed 14 Feb with type 2. Changed diet and increased exercise. Was not overweight (called it lean diabetes) but have since lost more weight. Last couple weeks BG readings have ranged from 4’s to 6’s then tonight went from 5.5 before dinner to 9.0 2hours later. Hadn’t eaten anything carb heavy but have had quite a lazy day today not as much exercise as usual. Would this make such a big difference. Finding it difficult to make sense of ‍♀️.

Can you tell us what you actually had for dinner? It may be more carb heavy than you think.... For instance, lentils, peas and beans seem to release much more carbs in my body than they are supposed to contain, which is a bit of a blow as I rather like them.... or it may be the lack of exercise today.
You can't always pin down the factors which cause any individual reading to be different than you might predict, which is why we advise people to look for trends rather than draw any conclusions from individual results

Thanks so much for replying. Trying hard to get diet sorted! Dinner was 1 slice protein bread 7g carb, bowl homemade butternut squash and red pepper soup, kvarg and few blueberries, glass of water, then chamomile tea.

Sounds like you are working hard on your food choices @shiffcam13

How much soup did you prepare?

A butternut squash might weigh a kilo, and could have 100g of carbs (12g/100g of flesh, and assuming some weight lost with seeds and skin). Maybe 7g of carbs in a red pepper?

Soup always seems to be a weird one for me. No matter what goes in it I always seem to have to allow for 20g of carbs in a portion when calculating my insulin dose. Even if I can’t understand quite where that’s coming from - all those little bits seem to add up!

Thank you for replying. That is helpful. Have probably misjudged amount of carbs. As you say all the little bits add up! Will learn

I make a vegetable soup from a recipe book and a portion comes out at 20g of carbs - it adds up. It causes a spike after eating but it came back down to normal levels afterwards (I was wearing a Libre when I made it once and saw a rise to about 7 and then a quick fall back to the 5s.) It's the only thing I saw show me the up arrows and down arrows on the app indicating a quick change in levels.

That’s interesting - you’re right it all adds up. Have a normal reading g this morning so I guess you guys have nailed it. More carbs than I thought . Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Soup is an odd one for me as well. Unless it’s something like cauliflower or broccoli soup, or homemade chicken soup, it spikes me further than I’d normally think.

Have been ok with chicken, mushroom or cauli soup so will stick to them in future! Thanks

Soup always seems to be a weird one for me. No matter what goes in it I always seem to have to allow for 20g of carbs in a portion when calculating my insulin dose. Even if I can’t understand quite where that’s coming from - all those little bits seem to add up!
So pleased I am not the only one who finds this! A bowl of soup (without bread) always needs 2 units of Fiasp for me and I never have soup with carb rich foods like potatoes in it. I don't understand why a simple bowl of veggie soup needs this.... but it does... and I have long since given up battling or reasoning it.

Snap, soup calcs seldom seem to work for me either.

But just thinking about it now, I wonder if it's from a combination of: excessive portion size (home made soup is always enjoyable and received enthusiastically) along with cooking and evaporation increasing the carb concentration per portion. Never checked if the cooked weight is close to the theoretical weight and thus % of carbs; always have to share from the batch - so no chance of eating the whole lot on my own!

Tinned soup works, but rarely as good.

I wonder if it is a similar effect that some people get with smoothies as opposed to the individual ingredients. Being blitzed up somehow releases more starches that get digested.

I don’t blitz my soup - I prefer it with all the vegetables intact.

Snap, soup calcs seldom seem to work for me either.

But just thinking about it now, I wonder if it's from a combination of: excessive portion size (home made soup is always enjoyable and received enthusiastically) along with cooking and evaporation increasing the carb concentration per portion. Never checked if the cooked weight is close to the theoretical weight and thus % of carbs; always have to share from the batch - so no chance of eating the whole lot on my own!

Tinned soup works, but rarely as good.
I only ever have homemade but I have a small bowl that I always use so it isn't portion size for me. I do think the veggies being broken down and blitzed causes them to release quicker.... like mashed potato or smoothies do... but still doesn't explain where the carbs come from in the first place. Certainly DAFNE carb counting rules don't apply with soup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back