Blood glucose levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc@home

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Have just purchased a "Standard Gluco Navii GDH" as recommended by a fellow member and will begin testing shortly.Apart from what looks like quite a difficult set up procedure of the monitor? I have no idea what the numbers/results will mean. Is there a chart or guide as to acceptable or "normal" readings available. Very new to all of this so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mc.

If you have Type 2 diabetes

• before meals: 4 to 7mmol/l
  • two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l
I'm not sure on the set up of the meter but I'm sure the instructions will guide you through it xx

I just bought one of these as I can't get supplies for my original one. Set up was basically setting the time, but I did find it a bit confusing, got the time set not sure about anything else, but it works and loads the result in the memory, which is all I need. The meter will activate as soon as you put a test strip in, it uses less blood than my old one, result in 5 seconds - you will see it countdown. Seems to work fine, not had any problems with it.

I just bought one of these as I can't get supplies for my original one. Set up was basically setting the time, but I did find it a bit confusing, got the time set not sure about anything else, but it works and loads the result in the memory, which is all I need. The meter will activate as soon as you put a test strip in, it uses less blood than my old one, result in 5 seconds - you will see it countdown. Seems to work fine, not had any problems with it.
Ok, thank you. I bought a kit from Amazon which has all I need, I think and came with additional 200 lancets for single use although a member did say earlier that you can use a lancet more than once? Experimenting at the moment and the lancet dispencer/pen has a setting of 1-5 in strenght/pressure, having to set it to 5 and even then struggling to obtain a drop of blood?

Ok, thank you. I bought a kit from Amazon which has all I need, I think and came with additional 200 lancets for single use although a member did say earlier that you can use a lancet more than once? Experimenting at the moment and the lancet dispencer/pen has a setting of 1-5 in strenght/pressure, having to set it to 5 and even then struggling to obtain a drop of blood?
As I have Reynaud's, I can struggle to get blood out of my fingers. I find it helps to warm my hands as this brings the blood closer to the surface.
I often make a cuppa to wrap my hands around before taking a finger prick.

How are you actually trying to make the hole in your finger? - have you read this?

Thanks for that, a useful link. It could just be that I have a suspect lancet holder, when set to max it barely punctures the skin, if I can't improve on that will have to buy another one.🙂

Having warm hands makes all the difference in the world. Either a warm cuppa as @helli suggests or washing them warm water and then drying thoroughly, or even just drumming them for a few minutes on a surface because moving the fingers will also help to stimulate the blood flow. If you have quite thick/tough skin, your ring finger or little finger may be less hardened and produce a better result. I tend to use mostly those two fingers on my left hand as I can coordinate the meter holding it with the strip toughing the spot of blood better with my right hand. Either side of those 2 finger pads gives me 4 locations to test although I could jab the same finger 10 times a day and not get sore. You may need to gently squeeze/massage the finger pad a little to get a drop of blood out. Squeezing too hard makes fingers more sore than pricking them in my opinion, so stimulating the blood flow to start with is very helpful to making it as pain free as possible.

Thank you, I shall try your suggestions, I'm sure that it's because I'm new to this that I'm struggling.

Yes, it is very much about finding what works for you. Just frustrating when you waste a few strips initially trying to figure it. out.

I always wash my hands in a sink of warm water - or giving your fingers a brisk rub with a towel will help. I use the sides of my finger tops, set on 5, wipe away the first drop of blood, a little squeeze as such will help to produce another blob. I change finger and location each time, using both hands for testing. Yes you can use the lancet more then once, they do say there is a slight risk of infection, but I think most are guilty of innumerous uses whilst it is sharp enough ... personal choice entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back