Blood Glucose levels - typical 'normal' values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essex

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, its me again, I have so many questions!

Is there a resource that lists the typical fasting morning and before and after eating etc blood Glucose levels that I can use for reference when I start testing?

In all the blood tests I have done in the hospital my fasting Glucose level has always been fine

when I started trying to find out about this hypo thingy about 10 years ago, they tested my fasting levels then after a high sugar intake but never found anything untoward.

Mind you they didnt give me a sugar solution, they sent me to the Café round the corner and told me to eat some sugary doughnuts with sweet egg creme in ('bolos de berlim' - I miss those :() and coffee with lots of sugar in it. Then when I got back they retested my blood levels. I did question their scientific method at the time, but it was in a respected private clinic in Lisbon.

Ideally you would have target values individualised to your specific case and circumstances, but the general values for T2 are often quoted as

4-7 before meals, and
No higher than 8.5 by 2hrs after meals

Forum folks who use a BG meter to observe their reactions to different meals often check BG just before eating and again 2hrs later. Ideally looking to adapt their menu so that it gives a rise of no more than 2-3mmol/L from the pre-meal reading at the 2hr mark. In some senses to begin with the actual numbers themselves are less important than the rises, because if you can reduce the BG rises, the overall numbers usually gradually reduce by themselves.

Ideally you would have target values individualised to your specific case and circumstances, but the general values for T2 are often quoted as

4-7 before meals, and
No higher than 8.5 by 2hrs after meals

Forum folks who use a BG meter to observe their reactions to different meals often check BG just before eating and again 2hrs later. Ideally looking to adapt their menu so that it gives a rise of no more than 2-3mmol/L from the pre-meal reading at the 2hr mark. In some senses to begin with the actual numbers themselves are less important than the rises, because if you can reduce the BG rises, the overall numbers usually gradually reduce by themselves.
Great succinct info
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back