Blood Glucose Levels on the Rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All...

Well after spending the last few weeks trying to stabalise Nathans BG....and massive reductions in insulin across the board.....just when I thought, i might be getting somewhere......mmmm......welcome to another growth spurt....I must say thank you to the hormones....lol

This started at 2am yesterday morning, when Nathan woke at 22.8....OMG😱...total panic.....for a while i sat up in shock...how on earth could he be reading that....I mean the highest since diagnosis and an illness has been late 19's....tested another twice...and for ketones...reading the same and trace of ketones....I gave nathan some N/R immediately...to try to contain any further rise, although I am reluctant to adminster N/R at night..as on a couple of previous occassions has not been my best choice....

Well nathan woke at 16.4....the rest of the day we struggled to get bg down to anywhere under 14...only at bedtime did it drop to 10.2....

During this time I phoned the DSN...cause I was concerned it may have been swine flu...although no illness was showing...waited all last night... no return phone call......till this morning at about 9am.

As Nathan had woke today at 12.4....Lunch..12.9....Tea....9.2...i have come to the conclusion it is definately growth hormones at play here.

DSN also agreed as Nathan had'nt grown as much as he had at his last appointment.

Finger crossed with a few adjustments again to his insulin dose's...🙂....we will crack it.

Heidi
x🙂

hi heidi fingers crossed it is all in the learning you will get there , keep positive
xx keep us updated 🙂

Hi Steff....

It sure is all in the learning....me and nathan have been here before and got through it......lol.....it was just the 22.8 reading that completly threw me and sent me into panic.....aaaarrrggghhhh🙂..

I will keep you all posted on this🙂

Heidi
x🙂

I cant imagine the panic hun but it must be scary im in a position where my o/h has experience with diabetes an ex of his was diabetic altho she was t1 so in many ways he is learning as well but he always deals with my brillaintly when i hyper,being a parent of a diabetic is rewarding but also scary at times , if ever you want a good old chat or moan you can pm me ok x

Hi Heidi!

Nearly every single parent on the other forum has this problem in the holidays! Its a combination of less activity and different routine.
I would think you just need to 'up' both his basal and his bolus, but obviously try doing the basal first and getting that right. Then, once you have that sorted i would increase his bolus if required.
Also sounds like growth hormones during the night. Remember A had this a few weeks ago, and i just increased his levemir by half a unit every 3 days.
It worked eventually! But i am thinking i might need to increase it again as his waking level this morning was 10 - but i think thats also because he isnt well, so will leave it a few days until i see a real pattern.

Hope you get it sorted - although looking at the weather - this wont help as they cant really play out or do much in the way of exercise!😡Bev x

Hi Heidi!

Nearly every single parent on the other forum has this problem in the holidays! Its a combination of less activity and different routine.
I would think you just need to 'up' both his basal and his bolus, but obviously try doing the basal first and getting that right. Then, once you have that sorted i would increase his bolus if required.
Also sounds like growth hormones during the night. Remember A had this a few weeks ago, and i just increased his levemir by half a unit every 3 days.
It worked eventually! But i am thinking i might need to increase it again as his waking level this morning was 10 - but i think thats also because he isnt well, so will leave it a few days until i see a real pattern.

Hope you get it sorted - although looking at the weather - this wont help as they cant really play out or do much in the way of exercise!😡Bev x

Hi Bev...

Thank you...totally agree...as soon as the holidays start..change of routine etc.....aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh....diabetes is there to challenge us mam's....lol..

Yes the basal is being adjusted from tonight...I usually work on a 2 to 3 day cycle with Nathans basal...when i discussed this with nathan before he was less than impressed......lol....But on a slightly different note, the other night Nathan has shown intrest in the pump????....as in his words was sick of his BG levels being all over the place.

How is A feeling?....

Apparently the weather is supposed to pick up again at the weekend...especially down south....🙂🙂....Hahahaha.....Had Nathan on my stepper today...

Heidi
x🙂

Hi Heidi,

A is fine thanks. He is just feeling a bit bored i think.:(

Does Nathan have the wii fit? We find thats great for getting A's levels down (as long as he's not over 14 before he starts).

We are having torrential rain at the moment! I have got them magazines and books to keep them occupied - but they have cabin fever! You can tell its the summer holidays - loads of rain.:(😱

Brilliant news re: Nathan wanting a pump! Woooooopeeeeeeee!!!!!!!Would your hospital offer him one?:DBev

Hi heidi , I hope Nath starts to better soon honey 🙂🙂

Hi Heidi,

A is fine thanks. He is just feeling a bit bored i think.

Does Nathan have the wii fit? We find thats great for getting A's levels down (as long as he's not over 14 before he starts).

We are having torrential rain at the moment! I have got them magazines and books to keep them occupied - but they have cabin fever! You can tell its the summer holidays - loads of rain.

Brilliant news re: Nathan wanting a pump! Woooooopeeeeeeee!!!!!!!Would your hospital offer him one?:DBev

Hi Bev....

I'm glad A is feeling a bit better.....If A is anything like Nathan....being bored drives him mad...and me....lol
He used to have a wii....but lost interest in it...and traded it in....for xbox equipment....Nathan just waiting for a bit of sun so that he can go down to the skate park...Nath loves his skateboarding.....🙂
Yes all its done up here today is rain....aaaarrrggghhh.....

MMMM...the pump news kind of threw me a little...although I was going to bring it up again over the holidays...But Nathan beat me to it....:D...Well apparently when the DSN went into school for her regular meeting with the Nathan & Co....she was talking about the pump..and saying that it would be an option for more diabetics, and the hospital where trying to sort the funding out so all the children would have access to one if wanted.

Heidi
x🙂

Hi heidi , I hope Nath starts to better soon honey 🙂🙂

Hi Hun...Thank you...🙂...Anyway how are you feeling? Did you get your Tamiflu??....Hope you feel better soon..X

Heidi
x🙂

Hi Hun...Thank you...🙂...Anyway how are you feeling? Did you get your Tamiflu??....Hope you feel better soon..X

Heidi
x🙂

yes ive got it now , he had to go all the way in to the city centre to get it though as none of the other chemists had any 😱

Hi Heidi,

The 22 must have been a bit of a shock after all the hypo's, but the day he was 12.2, 12.4, 9.2 is actually quite level (just a bit on the high side) so it looks like you're doing a good job of matching the right amount of insulin for the food he ate.

Maybe just needed a tiny bit more fast acting in the morning to bring it down into range but thats easier said than done when you have to deal with growth spurts etc.

NiVZ

Hi Heidi,

The 22 must have been a bit of a shock after all the hypo's, but the day he was 12.2, 12.4, 9.2 is actually quite level (just a bit on the high side) so it looks like you're doing a good job of matching the right amount of insulin for the food he ate.

Maybe just needed a tiny bit more fast acting in the morning to bring it down into range but thats easier said than done when you have to deal with growth spurts etc.

NiVZ

Hi NiVZ

The 22.8 reading....was a big shock yes...😱....I could'nt possibly type my exact words.

Nathan at supper was reading 4.8......:D...so a big difference on the past couple of days..I increased his Lantus by 2 units though, just in case and to help with any growth hormone counter action during the night. Nathan woke up at 4.8 this morning as well. So hopefully those 2 extra units might just be enough for the moment...finger crossed.

Nathan was a little higher at lunch than I/we had anticipated 11.2...but again a manageable reading

Heidi
🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back