Blood Glucose Home Testing Monitor

Embertc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Thinking of purchasing a home testing monitor just want to hear what everyone is using how easy they are to use and recommendations?

3 months feels like a long time away before my next blood test and checks.

Thanks for all the good advice I've received from you all already.

Carol

So far the nipro 4 sure meter works quite well although the rest strips are a bit pricey. Have twinned this with diabetes M so which records and analysis the results very well.

Hi all,

Thinking of purchasing a home testing monitor just want to hear what everyone is using how easy they are to use and recommendations?

3 months feels like a long time away before my next blood test and checks.

Thanks for all the good advice I've received from you all already.

Carol
The BG monitors often recommended on here, because they have cheaper strips and lancets, are the Gluco Navii and the Spirit Tee 2, though other makes are available. I use a Gluco Rx Q, for example, but that was given to me by my surgery when I was diagnosed.

The meter is a one-off cost whereas the test strips and lancets are a running cost, so it's the cost of the latter that usually determines people's choices.

Last edited:
The two meters which are well tried and tested and recommended by members here for reliability and economy o use are the Spirit Tee2 and the Gluco Navii. The cost of test strips is an important consideration when self funding because some can be as much as 3x the price of others and they are not universal, so whatever meter you buy, you need strips for that make and model. There are some slightly cheaper than the 2 I have mentioned above, but we have had members come to the forum who experienced problems with them, so those are the 2 I would me most confident of recommending. The test kit comes with 10 test strips and lancets. Most of us reuse the lancets multiple times provided that you don't use your used lancet on family and friends but the strips are single use so you would be well advised to purchase a couple of extra pots of 50 test strips to get you going with some useful testing data.

I bought the VivaChek Ino, I am new to all this so checked the reviews which were good and is being sold on the Diabetics UK website - the brand was also on some NHS site but not the specific model and it meets It fulfils ISO 15197:2015 standards of accuracy which is about plus/minus 10% but i would hope they all do. It is very basic but does have advance modes if required.

The BGM is under 20 pounds with 50 strips and lancets.

Test strips are about 23p each including lancets.

I use the Contour Blue, which has Bluetooth. It syncs the results to the phone app and integrates with Apple health.

Strips are cheap as well. I pay around 8 quid a pot, with postage on top.

Another user of the Contour Plus Blue. Syncs well with Android (Samsung user), but haven't figured out how to integrate to S Health, so just use the Contour app.

Back