Blood glucose and toast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As the date towards my annual Hba1c draws closer I always take a look at my blood sugar. While all my testing has returned a very satisfying 5 2-5 7. I have noticed that only one slice of low carb bread with my meal makes the testing jump to 6 . Not the worst thing and certainly not enough to give it up Just interesting in the fact that it does make a difference.

A blood glucose level of 6 is still within normal limits so it’s not that high. Do you make your own low carb bread? Bread is my treat item :rofl:

I have to admit I buy low carb bread (3 carbs per slice) and I have a slice every now and then just for a change. Don't really know why because pre dhagnosis I hardly ate the stuff.

It's my birthday next week and we usually go out for a meal. This was a less fraught affair in years gone bye. I am now checking menus of local eateries. Fortunately I am not a foodie which makes the scouring of menus less demanding.

I have found that low carb bread makes my BG spike quite badly, I don’t know why

I have found that low carb bread makes my BG spike quite badly, I don’t know why
Oh that's interesting. I was surprised and I had a look back in my food diary and saw whenever I ate a slice my BG increased. Not by a worrying number but a definite increase.

white bread for toast as very high carbs the diabetic nurses told me , my blood sugars are very unstable atm but toast can send them haywire , i think bread, potatoes, rice etc are big spikers

I have to admit I buy low carb bread (3 carbs per slice) and I have a slice every now and then just for a change. Don't really know why because pre dhagnosis I hardly ate the stuff.

It's my birthday next week and we usually go out for a meal. This was a less fraught affair in years gone bye. I am now checking menus of local eateries. Fortunately I am not a foodie which makes the scouring of menus less demanding.
Hi, which is the low carb bread that you buy? I have greatly reduced my bread/ toast consumption since my diagnosis earlier this year, but I do like a slice of toast with all the eggs that I am now eating. I am happy with any meal that gives me a reading of 6. I had scrambled eggs on 2x whole meal toast that raised BG from 4.8 to 11, low GI sandwich which raised BG to 14, so I am very reluctant to go near bread, but would like to try a low carb bread if I can find one. By the way, I think your Hba1c numbers look very impressive. Are you trying to get it lower?

Out of curiosity, do you find untoasted bread has the same affect?
I remember a dietician once told me "food doesn't lose or gain carbs when you cook them" when I asked about carb counting toast. But she never mentioned whether the carbs acted any quicker.

I did wonder if burnt toast broke her theory because that turns the carbs to carbon. But I don't like burnt toast enough to try it.

Hi, which is the low carb bread that you buy? I have greatly reduced my bread/ toast consumption since my diagnosis earlier this year, but I do like a slice of toast with all the eggs that I am now eating. I am happy with any meal that gives me a reading of 6. I had scrambled eggs on 2x whole meal toast that raised BG from 4.8 to 11, low GI sandwich which raised BG to 14, so I am very reluctant to go near bread, but would like to try a low carb bread if I can find one. By the way, I think your Hba1c numbers look very impressive. Are you trying to get it lower?
Hi. Thanks for your kind comments The bread is Livelif 3 carbs per slice. As for the Hba1c I am not actively reducing my numbers they appear to be always in mid thirties. I eat between 100-130 carbs daily (including porridge and pasta) But at the risk of boring everyone my diagnosis was always very suspect, the nurse at the surgery thinks due to lost and found sample and comoletely symptom less I may not actually be diabetic. But can't turn back the clock...It ' s a mess.

Out of curiosity, do you find untoasted bread has the same affect?
I remember a dietician once told me "food doesn't lose or gain carbs when you cook them" when I asked about carb counting toast. But she never mentioned whether the carbs acted any quicker.

I did wonder if burnt toast broke her theory because that turns the carbs to carbon. But I don't like burnt toast enough to try it.
I usually have toast I was never a great fan of sandwiches.

The bread is Livelif 3 carbs per slice.
Just had a google of the bread, it looks rather nice and is very low carb...........for bread. Shame it's only sold in Waitrose 🙄

Thanks, I will try that bread and see how that affects me. I do like toast, even if I can only have some occasionally it will be a small victory. Much as I am enjoying Greek yoghurt and eggs it is great to have some other options for a bit of variety.

Just had a google of the bread, it looks rather nice and is very low carb...........for bread. Shame it's only sold in Waitrose 🙄
There must be other low carb breads. I am sure someone on the forum can help. It was suggested to make bread... a good idea but not for me. Happy hunting

There must be other low carb breads. I am sure someone on the forum can help. It was suggested to make bread... a good idea but not for me. Happy hunting
I tend to just buy normal brown bread and then consider it a treat :rofl:

High low bread is very bready, and has half carbs normal bread...plus the slice are small so a two sided sarny is about half the size of a standard sarny. Our big sainsbos has it.
Otherwise i never really found a very nice low carb bread...

There isn’t a Waitrose where I live in Coventry. I will probably try some next time I drive past one though. Not the most urgent item to buy, just looking for some variety as I am getting a little bored with salad most days.

I don't buy bread- I make my own using my Panasonic Bread-maker. Always use multi-seed brown flour, because that is what Mrs B likes. I do occasionally eat it, because it is a tremendously quick as a hypo treatment. Half a slice fixes most things. A full slice gets my BG up to 12!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back