BLOG: Benefits of running to your mental health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetes UK

Know Diabetes. Fight Diabetes
Staff member
Hayley Jarvis, Head of Physical Activity at Mind, shares with us the all-important benefits of running to our mental health. In her spare time, Hayley is a mental health advocate and a peer volunteer/run leader for Dudley Mind.

We’re all aware of the physical health benefits of being active including reduced risk of diseases, healthier bones and organs. It also supports us to maintain a healthier weight – to fit into those jeans or that fancy black dress. But until recently the mental health benefits of physical activity were largely overlooked, until three campaigns changed the landscape....

https://blogs.diabetes.org.uk/?p=10892

Yes, it’s the endorphins and company that takes you out of yourself. It’s something I felt doing fell running, when I was working in Lancaster, or running mile long wires when I was deer fence building.

Can’t do it now, of course, but that’s irrelevant.

Yes I remember it too, Runners high they used to call it. A bit like your body generating its own happy pill.
Just wish I was able to run now would be doing it for sure. Has great benefits mentally and physically.
Seem to think there was a debate into weather other endurance activities achieved this state of mental well-being.

Yes I remember it too, Runners high they used to call it. A bit like your body generating its own happy pill.
Just wish I was able to run now would be doing it for sure. Has great benefits mentally and physically.
Seem to think there was a debate into weather other endurance activities achieved this state of mental well-being.
It's kept me going for the past 35+ years, physically and mentally 🙂 So happy and feel so privileged that I am still able to do it.

When my son was around 12-13 and he would start having that annoying teenager behaviour, I would send him outside to run around the house some number of times (depending on his offence). but after a time, he began to do it on his own, to manage his own moods. But he never took it as a sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back