Blisters or absesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Not a preety title i know but i have forgotten which is a sign for high blood sugar can someone help me out, only reason im asking is i have either one or other on the bottom of my leg,its soft to touch and had liquid inside its about a thumb nail size..

Thanks muchly.

Have you any idea what has caused it Steffie? A blister usually comes from the area of skin getting hot or chafed, but an abscess forms when there is an infection and is far more serious. An abscess will normally contain pus, and high sugars will encourage the infectious bacteria to increase.

Something containing clear fluid is usually a blister, which might be caused by a burn, scald, insect bite, rubbing etc. In any case, the recommended treatment is not to pop the skin, nor to use any ointment, but to cover the blister and leave it alone. If it's at bottom of leg, perhaps caused by rubbing by shoe and / or sock?
An absess is usually deeper, filled with coloured pus, and has potential to make you feel very unwell, due to infection.

If you're worried, ask NHS Direct or take it to a GP / Practice Nurse tomorrow. Unless it's very painful and / or making you feel very uswell, then it probably doesn't justify a trip to A&E on Sunday evening.

thanks guys i should know really i had to have an absess operated on 2 yr ago and its no where as painful nor sore as that so i guess its a blister, i dont know what caused it Northey just suddenly took my tights off and caught them on it,it may be a sock yes copepod, so if i just cover it over and leave it it will just go? x

careful could be cellulite and his very dangerous go and see the GP tomorrow

careful could be cellulite and his very dangerous go and see the GP tomorrow

god i dont want that it incapaciated my FIL for 5 weeks he could not do anything ..its red and angry but convered over for now..

Hi Steff,

If it's a blister just leave it be, preferably let the air get at it if you can - some people advocate 'popping' them with a needle (ie some walkers prefer that) but you risk infection if you pop it... in time the liquid should reabsorb or the skin will come off & a new layer grow (hope that doesn't sound too gross!) As it's started looking angry (esp if it's popped) personally I'd give it a clean with tcp liquid or similar, put some tcp cream on it & cover with a plaster & keep a close eye on it. If it's not improving quickly off to the docs! 🙂 Hope that makes sense?! (Sorry, it's been a long day!)

Twitchy x

Hi Steff,

If it's a blister just leave it be, preferably let the air get at it if you can - some people advocate 'popping' them with a needle (ie some walkers prefer that) but you risk infection if you pop it... in time the liquid should reabsorb or the skin will come off & a new layer grow (hope that doesn't sound too gross!) If it starts looking angry (esp if it's popped) personally I'd give it a clean with tcp liquid or similar & cover with a plaster & keep a close eye on it. Hope that makes sense?! (Sorry, it's been a long day!)

Twitchy x

heya hun thanks its getting air to it now got leg levitated on table for some reason lol , ty for the advice hun, chilling and watching the x factor like you hun sometimes rasies my BP though hahah x

i dont know what caused it Northey just suddenly took my tights off and caught them on it said:
Whats that Northey been up to the naughty man 😱 🙄

John oh LMAOROFL, read that back and see exactly where you got that ... im howling here..:D:D

LOL Steff....Your secret is safe with me..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back