Blister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sitosea

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone

Had a 1cm blister on my foot (very itchy). Visited doctor who was not over-concerned. I put a gauze dressing on it and some antibiotic cream. It eventually subsided without bursting. I now have what looks like another one coming on the other foot. My BS is good at the moment. Any advice anyone? It really worries me.

Eczema can cause a kind of rash of blisters. Could it be something like that? I can’t remember it’s exact name but it’s a special type. Obvious but have you checked your shoes (and socks) to make sure nothing is rubbing? Have you been barefoot anywhere? Some plants can cause fluid-filled blisters.

Thanks for your reply Inka. I've convinced myself it's diabetes related. Nothing barefooted and shoes are OK. It could be insect bite related as I'm very prone to these.

Have you mare any changes to your footwear, shoes, socks, walking, or anything that can affect your feet?

Any other changes to your feet at all?

Thanks for your reply Inka. I've convinced myself it's diabetes related. Nothing barefooted and shoes are OK. It could be insect bite related as I'm very prone to these.

As I understand it, the risk of diabetes is that any wounds don’t heal properly. If your blood sugar is controlled you should be fine, but if you’re at all concerned and want reassurance, then I’d speak to a nurse at your GP surgery. They can then take a quick look and hopefully reassure you all’s as it should be.

I’d also protect the blisters and check them at least twice a day so you can monitor them.

I wear open tied sandals from at least Easter to October, without socks.
They are a decent branded walking shoe, I can drive in them quite happily.
I don't get blisters, but I can certainly feel any stone in them.
The usual problem with feet is they either start to lose sensitivity, so any damage isn't felt, and goes untreated, or blisters do form, but don't heal well, usually due to poor blood flow, or is affected by high BG.
I must admit, for the occasional blisters have got at times, in other shoes, I just tend to burst them because they annoy me, without any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently had blister on right foot, happen to be breaking in new pair of walking boots so put it down to that.

Just put gauze dressing over it during day then sat bear footed on night to let air get to it, its now only brown mark that seems to be shrinking.

Wife gets bitten by insects, they usually don't look like blister as skin isn't raised more like angry red circle, but not saying yours isn't so get it checked if unsure.

We get Blandford Flies round here, and if I get bitten they come up in a small blister, they are also most likely to get your feet and legs. (they also itch like stink). Have you tried antihistamine cream, or a hay fever tablet,@Sitosea , in case it is insect related?

My understanding (although I am not a doctor) is diabetes does not cause blisters.
There is a lot of talk about diabetes and blisters but that is due to neuropathy - if we have limited feeling in our extremities such as feet, we may not notice a blister (or any other wounds to the feet) so will not treat it and it will get worse.
For this reason, I would review the cause and, if possible, make adjustments to minimise the chance of more blisters. If foot wear is not the cause, it may be a reaction to something such as plant sap or new washing powder or insect bites the sun/heat. When I was a child I once reacted badly to sunscreen on a hot Greek island and came out in blisters.

My understanding (although I am not a doctor) is diabetes does not cause blisters.
There is a lot of talk about diabetes and blisters but that is due to neuropathy - if we have limited feeling in our extremities such as feet, we may not notice a blister (or any other wounds to the feet) so will not treat it and it will get worse.
For this reason, I would review the cause and, if possible, make adjustments to minimise the chance of more blisters. If foot wear is not the cause, it may be a reaction to something such as plant sap or new washing powder or insect bites the sun/heat. When I was a child I once reacted badly to sunscreen on a hot Greek island and came out in blisters.

It can cause blisters unfortunately.
Uncontrolled diabetes can cause blisters, single, but usually multiple ones.
They are spontaneous.
"bullosis diabetricorum"

(However, that is just for information, as this sounds nothing like that!)

A daily foot check is a wise precaution if you’ve been living with diabetes for some time.

I’ve heard talks by podiatrists with some scary stories about people with loss of sensation not feeling quite significant injury, and it going untreated for some time.

Fortunately my tootsies seem to be very delicate flowers and I feel every tickle and twinge.

Hope your blisters clear up, and you can work out what was causing them.

Look after your feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back