bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
I know this will sound odd - but - last night Alex did his injection for levemir in his thigh - but it started gushing with blood straight away - i wondered if the insulin had escaped - then this morning he woke on 14 and then was 16 pre lunch (after having great levels for 2 weeks of mostly under10) - so do you think the levemir came out in the gush of blood? If so, should i just keep correcting and just start with his new levemir tonight as normal? He has his SATS tomorrow and i dont want anything going wrong! Thanks if anyone can help!🙂 Bev

Hi all,
I know this will sound odd - but - last night Alex did his injection for levemir in his thigh - but it started gushing with blood straight away - i wondered if the insulin had escaped - then this morning he woke on 14 and then was 16 pre lunch (after having great levels for 2 weeks of mostly under10) - so do you think the levemir came out in the gush of blood? If so, should i just keep correcting and just start with his new levemir tonight as normal? He has his SATS tomorrow and i dont want anything going wrong! Thanks if anyone can help!🙂 Bev

Hi bev, sorry to hear this. I think there are probably two problems: if there was blood on injecting (especially if there was a lot as you say), then the levemir would have got into the blood stream too quickly and would have therefore dissipated quickly. Normally, injecting into the skin (rather than a vein) means that the insulin is gradually absorbed into the bloodstream via the tiny capillary vessels. Secondly, as you say, a proportion of the injected levemir may have come straight back out with the blood. Both would account for the high readings. I'd do as you suggest and just correct through the day and then give the normal levemir tonight, otherwise you might risk a situation where you're not how much he needs tonight and then he might go low.

I'd also let his school know the situation (sure you'd thought of that!).

Hope this helps, but remember, I'm not a doctor!

Thanks Northerner,

Yes that makes sense, i hadnt thought about the levemir being absorbed slowly etc..At least we know not to inject in his thigh again - Of course Alex tells me its because he is so musclely! Probably all that muscle cream he uses!:D Bev

I stopped injecting in my thigh almost as soon as I started, because it always bled - I must be muscly too!:D

I always find I get one that bleeds at the most inconvenient times. The major one was at a friend's wedding, all dressed up as you do, speeches about to start and there I am with gushing injection, not a good look, ruined my dress as well....

I agree with Northerner, correct as necessary today and carry on as normal tonight.

Just to say I hope Alex is OK and he does well with his SATS. They used to worry the hell out of my grown up son and he passed well each time...

my thighs are always more likely to bleed a little than any other site. i still use them but always anticipate pain and a bit of blood.

Thinking about it, is the only site I would use where the injection is given vertically, don't know if that makes any difference

E is much more likely to bleed from thighs too -- and he is tied to them exclusively at the moment, so it's all a pain in more ways than one. Our consultant suggested maybe trying to go in at an angle on the thighs, in order to avoid hitting muscle? E hates the feeling and feels insecure with it at an angle, but Alex may want to try it?

Good luck for Alex with SATs. And yes, inform the school!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back