Bleeding when injecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
It occurred to me today, that although there is sometimes a little/a lot of blood when injecting, I really have no idea how much blood is lost and - more importantly- how much insulin might be in it.

I wondered if anyone has any idea how much insulin is lost if you there is a small amount of blood after you inject?

I generally take 2?5 units at breakfast time, and if even a small amount is lost due to bleeding it could be a fair percentage of my total. I feel this could affect my results later on in the day - but I don't know. :confused:

Anyone any ideas on this one?

I'm injecting 80 units so that odd drop of blood doesn't amount to much insulin although there must be a few units lost as the smell on your hands when you wipe it off is quite strong. It's been a long time since my injections caused a bleed, so maybe it goes away with time, but sometimes I do get a spot of insulin on the skin (I pull the needle out and stick a finger on the spot for a few seconds), but it's a lot less than the 2 units that gets shot in the air before injecting, so maybe as little as .25 units.

I seem to remember reading that when you get a bleed it is because the needle has passed through a tiny capillary and the insulin will normally be delivered below this so it shouldn't be lost, or not a lot anyway. I've also found that there is insulin on the outside of the needle from the air shot, this is what can form a drop as the needle goes in (if that makes sense!).

Last edited:
I am not sure, i dont think it can be a lot, but then its only tiny amounts we inject so i really am not sure.
Dont even know anyone who might know.
Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back