Blasted chest infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinelucy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
4 days into this blasted chest infection my bloods are still playing up. I am taking my usual meds but woke to 9.1 then an hour after 2 boiled eggs for breakfast 10.1 two hours later 9.3 - I am trying to eat no carbs to ensure I don't have any higher readings. Yesterdays pizza sent them to 17!!

How long before the fasting bgs lower again? This is so frustrating as I have been trying to get to grips with this and now am unable to exercise and am worried about the readings I'm getting.

Hi Caroline, sorry to hear that you are still poorly. Even though your levels are higher than you would like, the good thing is that they are staying pretty steady after your meals due to the low carb content (apart from the pizza!). This means that there is little change in your levels and the latest thinking is that this is better than having wide variations in your levels which could be more harmful long-term.

Unfortunately, there is little you can do to lower your fasting levels until you are feeling well again. The illness will be making you more insulin resistant and at present your pancreas is unable to supply enough extra insulin to give you lower levels. As always, keep well hydrated and this should help a little. A few days illness is highly unlikely to be causing any long-term problems, so try not to get overly concerned. 🙂

Thanks for that - I am feeling better tonight than over the last few days so hopefully the antibiotics are working. 🙂

I hope you are feeling better. Chest infections are a pain. if it has not started to clear after 5 days worth of antibiotics, go back and see your doctor. Some times we need an extra course to zap the infection completly.

I second the advice to keep hydrated. I find warm drinks work better than cold ones in easing the chest and at the moment am enjoying a variety of soups too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back