Blaming diabetes on poor eating habits has delayed real action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Dr. Jan Hux is an expert advisor with EvidenceNetwork.ca and the Chief Science Officer at the Canadian Diabetes Association. She has broad experience as a physician, researcher, educator and executive.

Journalist H.L. Mencken wrote that “for every complex problem there is a solution that is clear, simple and wrong.” That observation aptly describes a prevailing attitude toward type 2 diabetes, which characterizes diabetes as a problem that could clearly be fixed if people would simply move more and eat less. Such a suggestion ignores much of what is known about the causes of the most prevalent and rapidly growing form of diabetes in Canada, and places an unwarranted burden of blame on those affected by it.

Type 2 diabetes is a complex problem with roots in genetics, the environment and individual behavioural choices. The role of genes is evident in the epidemiologic patterns of the disease. It is a condition that runs in families and few individuals diagnosed with type 2 diabetes do not have at least one relative who is affected. It is also more prevalent in certain population groups, most notably First Nations.

For some of those who carry a potent genetic risk for diabetes, no amount of physical fitness or healthy eating will protect them from developing the disease.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...bits-has-delayed-real-action/article22237176/

Good article 🙂

Well thank goodness, the voice of reason. I'd also like to suggest that the over simplistic message hasn't just prevented better government strategies, I think it has also given some medical professionals permission to provide substandard healthcare because the "message" is so deeply embedded.

It is a good, well balanced article (and I encourage people to read it in full).

From personal experience, I'm not too sure that we should move too far away from the message about weight loss and better diet/lifestyle (for want of a better word). It is a factor in the increase in the incidence of diabetes in our society no matter how much we don't want it to be.

The issue for me, is giving more people the support and the ability to be able to deal with these things without this 'finger pointing' aspect that many people comment on (which, personally, I have never experienced ... well, other than my big brother commenting on my expanding posterior when following me up the stairs once!).

I can also understand the issue about having a walkable environment that the article refers to. When diagnosed, I had the great fortune of having some really nice walks near me. That helped me greatly.

...From personal experience, I'm not too sure that we should move too far away from the message about weight loss and better diet/lifestyle (for want of a better word). It is a factor in the increase in the incidence of diabetes in our society no matter how much we don't want it to be....

The article is making the point though, that the message has become almost exclusively, if not completely, about weight issues. It cites weight as a predominant risk factor, but this is where the simplistic message has failed because other factors have been overlooked.

I thought it was interesting what they said about Finland - over here the food companies are always given the option of 'voluntary' agreements rather than enforcing better practice.

I don't disagree with diet and exercise being emphasised but it is far too simplistic. I have a friend with type 2 who has made massive improvements to her diet and activity and it's really helping her, for which I'm grateful because I'd like to be visiting her in the old folks home! That said my Dad was type 2, he had no weight to lose, was very active and had a very healthy diet, his sister and her son are exactly the same. The medical professionals have nothing to suggest aside from take more pills. There's clearly a genetic component, same body shape and they all looked quite similar. They are being done a disservice by the exclusive message about weight and lifestyle. There needs to be a much more level approach to ensure they can really fight this.

I also wonder how many people dismiss the symptoms because they don't fall into the 'overweight' category? A lot of the symptoms of Type 2 can be put down to many other things. Also, the stigma and guilt-trip probably prevents some people from seeking help, or makes it harder for them to be compliant with treatment.

Can't do much about your genetic make up. But can do something if you're overweight or eating poorly or not exercising (taking into account the various restraints that may also be present).

I do accept that other factors (like excess fat around the internal organs although looking quite good otherwise) are somewhat ignored by the media.

The message is failing dramatically if people fail because of this stigmatism argument. Very sad if that is truly the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back