Blackout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trisha66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Last Thursday my Doctor took me off my Metformin medication (I'm taking 2x500mg twice a day) while I'm having tests for an ongoing condition. On Sunday 20th November I was at a wedding and at the start of the meal about 4:30 after the soup course I suddenly collapsed and vomited violently on coming round. I went to the doctors the following morning and was referred to the hospital where extensive tests were all fine. Both the doctor and the hospital said stopping the Metformin would not have caused the blackout but my BG is constantly over 11 . I've been referred to the blackout clinic for further tests but I'm really frightened it's going to happen again. Has anyone had any similar experiences.? I'm sorry for the long post.

A blood sugar of 11 wouldn’t cause a blackout, and neither would stopping metformin, so the blackout clinic seems an appropriate referral. It’s probably something unrelated to your diabetes.

I’ve had bgs in the 20s and 30s and not blacked out, was 33.3 the other night and completely conscious (i have a cold so my blood sugars have been high for a few days). About the only time high blood sugars would cause a blackout is if you are in DKA. This can happen with prolonged high blood sugars like in undiagnosed type 1 diabetes, or when someone with diabetes is unwell and struggling to control blood sugars. They will have tested for ketones at the hospital and ruled this out though.

Sorry to hear that @Trisha66 That must have been scary and upsetting. Like @Lucyr I can’t see how your blood sugar would be involved. The only time something similar happened to me was when I suddenly developed norovirus, but you make no mention of continued vomiting so it doesn’t sound like that.

However, some people find that fainting can cause nausea and sometimes vomiting too, so I’d think the issue is why you fainted. Low blood pressure? Illness? Your ongoing condition? The good thing is that you seem to be getting proper attention and being looked after. I hope you have some answers soon.

Oh gosh! How awful, particularly at a wedding! I can totally understand you being really anxious in case it happens again but as others have said, I can't see how it would be your diabetes and particularly as readings are in the low double figures, which whilst not ideal, they are not dangerously high.
The blackout clinic seems to be the right option for a referral. In the meantime, particularly whilst you are not on the Metformin, are you following any dietary advice to reduce your BG levels?

I now think it was just a coincidence that I had the collapse just after being taken off Metformin and I am waiting to hear from the Blackout clinic. I have not been given any dietary advice but I'm being careful with my carb intake and regularly check my BG levels. Thank you for your reply.

I now think it was just a coincidence that I had the collapse just after being taken off Metformin and I am waiting to hear from the Blackout clinic. I have not been given any dietary advice but I'm being careful with my carb intake and regularly check my BG levels. Thank you for your reply.
It is worrying you have been given no dietary advice and just prescribed the medication. Dietary changes are as powerful if not more so than the metformin.
If a low carb approach is suitable for you considering other conditions then this link might clarify your understanding of a dietary regime for managing blood glucose. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
I hope you don't have to wait long for your appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back