Bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabethe

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I have been type 1 since July 2021, LADA. After a rollercoaster start getting to grips with my insulin doze I sort of settled about 1 unit to between 18 to 23 carbs depending on what meal I was eating. During a recent bout of Covid my insulin increased fourfold. I called the diabetic clinic and sought advice and it did settle again. However, during the past week my insulin doze is now about 1 unit to 30 carbs. For example breakfast every morning is porridge with blueberries and chia seeds, 26 carbs ( it is weighed). I usually take one unit same time and when my BS are about 6. But I was going low after 30 mins, I then took half a unit and the same going low. The past three days I have taken no insulin and fine. Replicate for lunch and dinner. If 60 carbs taking 2 units. I am healthy no symptoms of cold, slim build etc. Ketones checked today 0.1. My annual review results were good BS 48, all other blood tests in the normal range. I only take insulin and no other medication. I am 95% in range using the Libre2.
I take 4 units of Toujeo every morning And Fiasp is my insulin. I use a junior pen.
I just find it strange why this change occurred with no obvious explanation. And maybe there isn’t one.
I hope whoever reads this understands it and why I find it bizarre.

Thank you Colin very interesting, my friend’s son who had type 2 and hospitalised with Covid is now type 1.
The problem here is that your friend's son may have been T1 or LADA from the outset and previously misdiagnosed. It's sometimes difficult in retrospect to sort out the true medical path to a reliable diagnosis.

Illness certainly can require extra insulin (there are ‘Sick day rules’ guides to help T1s adjust their insulin during illness)

Sorry you’ve had such a confusing time with your doses @Elizabethe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back