Bit of advice please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkGeordie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been feeling really poorly. BGs are high. I’ve been doing the home covid tests you can get from the pharmacy and they all show negative. I’m following sick day rules and nothing is helping. I can barely eat and feel sick. No ketones.

Should I ring 111 now or wait for GP tomorrow?

I’m really anxious at the moment generally, feeling low and for some reason I have been experiencing nightmares and flashbacks too.

I think the accumulation is making me scared to seek help as I don’t really want to be admitted to hospital.

How high are your blood sugars @MarkGeordie ? Do you have a temperature? I think it would be best to phone 111 and get some advice. You won’t necessarily be admitted. I phoned them once when I had a horrible vomiting bug and they got me a callback from a doctor.

Had a few BGs in low 20s but mostly hitting around 11 and 16.

No temperature.

My concern would be that it’s something unrelated to diabetes or Covid. Apart from the 20s blood sugar, those aren’t awful blood sugars but if you’re feeling ill I think you need to speak to someone. It’s better to phone 111 now during the daytime than suddenly realise you feel very rough and need help this evening.

The only time I felt awful like you’re describing is for a few hours prior to being violently sick with food poisoning or a virus. I felt generally a bit strange in the early afternoon - a bit nauseous and faint and just weird - but it wasn’t until the evening that I started being ill. Then it hit me very hard. So, speak to 111 and if you’re feeling well enough, set things up in case you feel worse later - ie set out hypo treatments, meter and spare strips, snacks, paracetamol, check your insulin pens and needles, etc etc.

Remember you don’t have to go into hospital if you don’t want to, but getting advice is wise. It might make you feel better that you’ve spoken to someone too.

Sorry, I’m not so bad thanks, I spoke to 111 and only got to get put through to a nurse practitioner. She said I should add more insulin to bring down the BG further but monitor more, although that’s easier to do since I wear my Libre.

I have slept all afternoon and in between read a book.

I think stress, worry and tension is causing my BG to go higher than normal.

I’m glad you spoke to 111 @MarkGeordie I’m also pleased you had a sleep because hopefully that will help you recover. Sorry you’ve got stress. It’s a horrible thing to deal with. Reading is good as is watching undemanding TV or listening to music. I keep going on about breathing but slow, deep breathing into your stomach (rather than shallow breathing) can be calming too.

Wishing you good blood sugars and a peaceful night.

I’ve been feeling really poorly. BGs are high. I’ve been doing the home covid tests you can get from the pharmacy and they all show negative. I’m following sick day rules and nothing is helping. I can barely eat and feel sick. No ketones.

Should I ring 111 now or wait for GP tomorrow?

I’m really anxious at the moment generally, feeling low and for some reason I have been experiencing nightmares and flashbacks too.

I think the accumulation is making me scared to seek help as I don’t really want to be admitted to hospital.
Hello @MarkGeordie ,

I would suggest calling NHS 111 for advice.

Glad you were able to contact NHS111 @MarkGeordie - have the increased doses made any difference yet?

Stress and anxiety can be a swine for messing with BG levels :(

The BGs are improving slightly. Spoke to GP today. They have advised to get a proper covid test even though the home ones have all been negative. He also wants to see me regarding the stress/anxiety/low mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back