Bit of a shock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardhuckle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just returned from recent fasting glucose test & this time the doctors said positive for type 2.
Need to get with the program from here on out. Metformin meds for this moth? Then another test?
Not so happy as I am due to visit grandsons in Africa.

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum 🙂 What prompted the blood tests, have you had symptoms for long? Do you know what the test results were? Metformin is a standard first line treatment for Type 2 diabetes and has been around for decades. The main side-effects appear to be gastric upset/wind, particularly in the first week or two as you get used to it - if you find you really can't tolerate it then there is a slow-release version which you can ask your doctor for and which you may get on with better.

The pills alone won't do everything for you, however, it's important that you look into your diet - in particular the amount and types of carbohydrates you are eating (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, as well as pastries, pies or sugary items). All these are what will raise your blood sugar levels the most, nd some will raise the levels quicker than others. I'd suggest starting a food diary so you can accurately assess your intake of these things, then you can use it to look for areas where you might replace things, or reduce portions e.g. more vegetables and less potato.

I'd suggest having a read of Jennifer's Advice to put you more in the picture of what it all entails and how to tackle it, plus you will most likely find the book Type 2 Diabetes: The First Year by Gretchen Becker very helpful, it is highly recommended by many of our members 🙂

Diabetes is a serious condition, but it is manageable with the right knowledge and application. There's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy your trip to Africa to see your grandson, but it is a good idea to read up what you can beforehand so you can identify food that will be kind to your blood sugar levels. Some general principles to follow are explained in the GL (Glycaemic Load) diet - this is not a weight loss diet, but an approach to selecting and combining foods so that they have a slow, steady impact on blood glucose levels. The GL Diet for Dummies is a very good introduction 🙂

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns! 🙂

Hi and welcome to the forum Richard

Welcome Richard! Shock is normal but you'll adapt to the changes I'm sure and feel so much better for them. No reason it should affect your trip to Africa but remember to mention the diabetes for your travel insurance to ensure you're fully covered.

It is of course something to be taken seriously but do not worry about it. They do say you can reverse it in the early days by going on a very low calorie diet. If you do not fancy that, then change to a low carb higher fat diet. This means natural fats not manufactured ones. For example you can eat the skin on a chicken, crackling from pork, streaky bacon if you prefer, and scrambled eggs with some butter in. I love asparagus (in season now) with some butter. Not only should you keep away from pies, cakes, biscuits etc. but starchy vegetables also. Lentils and beans are fine, but still don't go over the top with them. You are likely to be eating more eggs (no constriction). Cheese is also good. Full fat natural Greek Yoghurt (I add a little powdered sweetener to mine) rather than those low fat ones which are higher in carbohydrates.

Be careful with fruit and never have pure fruit juice as it is so high in sugar. The lowest carb fruits are berries. Berries and cream make a lovely pudding. I make a pudding by stewing down two or three stalks rhubarb with very little water, then adding a no sugar raspberry jelly. The jelly is usually sweet enough without adding sweetener. Setting it in a small pie dish. It sets quite hard so can be cut into a triangle like a pie. Served topped with whipped cream with perhaps a few raspberries on top and a sprig of mint and I defy anyone to realise it is a diet pud. I have even made a Christmas pudding from sugar free blackcurrant jelly. I added Christmas spices to it, and a small handful of dried mixed fruit including peel. Let it set in a pudding basin. Put some whipped cream on the top with it slightly drippng down the sides (like snow) and topped with a twig of holly. A pound cake made with ground almonds, although not low calorie, is low carb so you don't have to be without a piece of cake.

It might be worth while getting a meter to test. Although they usually only prescribe it for Type 2's on insulin you could buy one yourself. It is the test strips that are more expensive but once you have seen how your body works you might not need to buy them again, or only from time to time. If you have a smart phone the app called carbs & cals I find very useful. You can buy the book if you do not have a phone, but of course the book doesn't get updated and a lot more difficult to carry around with you.

After a time you will start to get used to what foods you can eat and what foods it is better to avoid. But remember if you do want a pudding of some kind, as long as it is very occasionally, count the total carbs of the meal and you might find you can fit in a small portion of a lower carb pud.

A low carb diet is not like a low calorie one. Low calories you have X amount of calories in the day. Low carb is no more than X carbs per meal. Even if that one meal only has no more carbs than a day's allowance (although there should not be a day's allowance only a meal one), it will cause a higher spike in blood glucose.

The HbA1c has a good purpose, but it does not show how it is made up. It is better to be made from a small wavy line of ups and down rather than a big up and a big low. Same percent but not so good for the body.

Here is an ebook, which might be of assistance to you if you are a beginner to low carbing http://www.lowcarbinthe.uk/wordpress/unlockmp

Anyway welcome. You will find there are so many helpful people here who are only too willing to share their expert knowledge.

Amigo, if when the jelly is set it is topped with a cheesecake type mousse and let that set, it looks like a regular pudding. For the cheesecake mousse. Get some marscapone or Philadelphia type cream cheese, get some double cream, finely grated lemon rind (the more the stronger the flavour), and some sweetener, whisk well. The more you whisk the thicker it will get. When it is fairly thick spoon it over the rhubarb jelly and let set. Also nice with ginger instead of lemon. When set cut into triangles to serve. You could then liquidise some raspberries or put through a sieve to make a coulis to spoon on the plate to make it look posh 😉

Richard, I believe (in S. Africa anyway) they make dried beef (like jerky), which is great for a low carb nibble.

Hi Richard and welcome from a fellow T2.

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum, sorry for the DX

Yes, diagnosis is a shock & it will be life changing but all is not lost.... Many of us are able to manage our disease very well.... Often through diet, exercise & very few meds; what was your FBG number?

I wouldn't sweat about the trip to Africa, the only suggestion I would have is to try & cut out the starchy food like bread, rice, pasta & potatoes as these are the main carb culprits (along with deserts which I never ate anyway). I did a Mediterranean cruise a month after DX and coped very well, only undoing about 2 weeks worth of effort!!!!

Richard, I believe (in S. Africa anyway) they make dried beef (like jerky), which is great for a low carb nibble.
It's called biltong (similar to jerky) and drywoers (sausage type things) make from dried seasoned meat - I always have some dried meat snacks in my house.

Welcome Richard from another Type 2.
I'm still trying to get stuff round my head however, the members here have given me great support as I'm sure you'll benefit also.
My chuckle for today was setting up a new meter to replace the one I was given. I bought the Accu Chek Mobile and nipped my head reading all the instruction. To top it all, I then bungled 3 tests before I got a positive reading. My husband was trying to be helpful (not) and nearly got a failed test for his pains (kidding).
Back on the serious side. I was pleased with my test because I have come down from 13:7 to 6:8 and tonight was 6:4 mmol\mol. I have no meds just controlling with diet also I am trying to lose weight and have lost 1stone to date.
Enjoy reading all your advice posts and take what you can onboard.

Cheers from Iyline from Bonnie Scotland

Welcome aboard Richard, sorry to hear about the diabetes, but don't let it ruin your trip to Africa to see the grandkids, that will be marvellous I'm sure and lots of people find heat keeps the blood sugars a bit lower. I know it feels like the wind has been knocked out of you, but once you're in the swing it feels less ominous most of the time 🙂

Thanks to one & all for your feedback. I have enjoyed reading them & the info on the diabetes site.
Bottom line? Total confusion. Problem may well be that as a retired Metrologist, I tend to take measurement & data very seriously.
Nevertheless, I will monitor my progress & hopefully select the best course of action.

Thanks to one & all for your feedback. I have enjoyed reading them & the info on the diabetes site.
Bottom line? Total confusion. Problem may well be that as a retired Metrologist, I tend to take measurement & data very seriously.
Nevertheless, I will monitor my progress & hopefully select the best course of action.
Do you have a blood glucose meter so you can monitor the effects of different foods on your levels? If not, I would highly recommend it as one of the best (only!) tools available to you in order to understand your tolerance for different things and allow you to retain maximum flexibility in your diet whilst bringing your levels under good control. The principles are explained well in Test,Review, Adjust by Alan S - if your GP/nurse hasn't provided you with a meter then it's worth funding your own, the cheapest option we have come across is the SD Codefree Meter which has test strips at around £8 for 50 (High St pharmacies can charge £25-£30 for 50 strips).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back