Bisoprolol 2.5mg/ Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annette Arundell

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi not been here for a while , does anyone know if bisoprolol slows down insulin absorption? As put on 2 5mgs of bisoprolol for blood pressure, I know it can affect hypo awareness, but can it affect insulin absorption as I've had hypers then if I correct I have hypo later, I went to 2 . 6 yesterday in early hours this morning, luckily I have libre 2 so alarm woke me, as I wasn't aware, hope someone can help, thanks.

Hi not been here for a while , does anyone know if bisoprolol slows down insulin absorption? As put on 2 5mgs of bisoprolol for blood pressure, I know it can affect hypo awareness, but can it affect insulin absorption as I've had hypers then if I correct I have hypo later, I went to 2 . 6 yesterday in early hours this morning, luckily I have libre 2 so alarm woke me, as I wasn't aware, hope someone can help, thanks.
No idea. It doesn't seem like a crazy idea since bisoprolol is a beta blocker and so slows heart rate (which is why I take it).

It doesn't seem to be the first line of drugs for high blood pressure, so if you don't get on with it it seems reasonable to discuss it with your GP.

Did you double check the Libre reading with a finger prick test? If you lie on the arm with your Libre sensor on, it can cause what is referred to as a compression low which means that the Libre registers a low when you are actually fine. That would be my first thought. If you genuinely were hypo then what time was it and when did you last inject bolus insulin? If you are beyond 4-5 hours then I would suspect your basal dose may need checking and adjusting. Quite a few of us are finding basal needs are changing just at the moment and doses are needing tweaking.

Hi yea I checked with finger stick test as well, I've never got background one right as I posted before, its levemir, I have altered timings and doses up and down, but never get it right, if I reduce dose at night, then levels go high before I get up in morning but seems worse now I'm on bisoprolol , NovoRapid seems to work later, I'm in double figures large part of day, then go hypo after tea around 7pm, then sometimes hypo early hours then rise and keeps rising when I get up, but haven't had high levels in days for a while .

I’ve never noticed any impact of bisoprolol or propanalol on insulin absorption, and have taken both for years but intermittently (when I have symptoms)

Bisoprolol is actually not advised in diabetes because of its potential for masking hypo symptoms. As @Bruce Stephens says, it isn’t really a first choice in hypertension treatments. I know of no beta blocker that affects insulin absorption, and there are no reports I can find indicating such with Bisoprolol. That said, it’s worth your while asking your GP for a change of medication if only to see if things change.

Bisoprolol is actually not advised in diabetes because of its potential for masking hypo symptoms. As @Bruce Stephens says, it isn’t really a first choice in hypertension treatments. I know of no beta blocker that affects insulin absorption, and there are no reports I can find indicating such with Bisoprolol. That said, it’s worth your while asking your GP for a change of medication if only to see if things change.
Thanks for reply, unfortunately I tried ramipril and had the dreaded cough, then losartan and was sick all the time, amlodipine I had allergic reaction, doxazosin which cardiologist took me off, and put me on bisoprolol.

I’ve been on that exact dose for about 3/4 years. Never noticed anything untoward at all.
I never knew that about masking hypo symptoms, hypos are a rare occurrence for me and believe you me I know when I’m having one!

Also I tried all the other ones like you @Annette Arundell and the bisoprolol was the only thing that didn’t give me any nasty side effects.
I re read your post and see you take 2 x 2.5. I only take one.

Also I tried all the other ones like you @Annette Arundell and the bisoprolol was the only thing that didn’t give me any nasty side effects.
I re read your post and see you take 2 x 2.5. I only take one.
Hi thanks for reply I only take 1 x 2.5 bisoprolol, I just wondered if it altered how you absorb insulin as had hypers since being on it, and 1 bad hypo, my blood pressure goes quite low at time on it, just took it now 115/55 but not all day, I'm seeing consultant Monday, just a question if you don't mind, does your blood pressure stay in a certain range? mine goes very low at times, only been on it 2 weeks, but all quite scary at times.

Hi thanks for reply I only take 1 x 2.5 bisoprolol, I just wondered if it altered how you absorb insulin as had hypers since being on it, and 1 bad hypo, my blood pressure goes quite low at time on it, just took it now 115/55 but not all day, I'm seeing consultant Monday, just a question if you don't mind, does your blood pressure stay in a certain range? mine goes very low at times, only been on it 2 weeks, but all quite scary at times.
I mis- read that, sorry. I very rarely take my BP unless I feel unwell. When I started on it I had to take my BP for a week and let my DSN know the results. Have they not asked you to do that? Might be worth speaking to someone about it.

I was put on Bisoprolol post OHS as it was felt to be best practice. It is frequently mentioned on another forum where people report their BGs going up and others increased hypos. I personally found it made no difference and think BG variations are due to other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back