Birkie Fever: Skiing with type 1 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
By Joe Brady JDRF Ride to Cure Diabetes Coach and Birkie enthusiast

I vividly recall looking for answers in December 1981 when I found myself constantly tired, incredibly thirsty and peeing up to 20 times a day. Only 28 years old, healthy and actively athletic, I figured I had a flu bug and would recover sooner rather than later.

When I finally visited my doctor a month later, he informed me there was no cure ? not then or on the horizon ? in my future. I walked in the office a healthy (albeit sick) young adult, but now held a package of syringes, a bottle of insulin and a vial of dipsticks to check my urine for sugars. I walked out of the office as a person with type 1 diabetes (T1D).

A year later I signed up for my first Birkie, and this year, fate willing, I will complete my 28th ? I?ve missed three due to a variety of injuries.

http://www.haywardwi.com/birkie/article_cdcff0d8-94ec-11e3-88b0-0019bb2963f4.html

Makes my recent non competitive 3 days nordic skiing in Scotland and three hut to hut ski touring trips in Norway and others in Scotland over last 20 years seem a bit tame 🙂

I'm full of admiration for anyone who starts, let alone finishes a Birkebeinerrennet.

But I'm more of a telemarker than a track cross country skier, and not very competitive, so don't think I'll be applying for a place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back