Bipolar holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Holidays are supposed to be a time for relaxation, but not for Charlotte Walker, a mother and blogger with bipolar disorder. She values the opportunity to spend time with her children, but fears that a change from her routine may mess up the mental stability she works hard to achieve.

My children live with me only at weekends; our time together is precious. My 15-year-old son and my daughter, who is 13, make the two-hour journey to my home in London after school each Friday and are gone, almost before I know it, by Sunday afternoon.

It's not common after a marital split for the dad to be the primary carer, but there's a good reason why I, the mum, am the weekend parent in my children's lives - it's called bipolar disorder.

After agonising whether it was worse to move my children to be with their father more than me, or to risk them being affected by my instability on bad days, I concluded that weekends would work best for us all.

I particularly look forward to bank holiday weekends because I get three days with my kids, not the usual two. Traditionally we set out, armed with cagoules and optimism, for a budget break on the coast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-22395852

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back