Biometric scanners used by Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules22

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Does anyone know if diabetics can have problems using Biometric scanners to log onto bank accounts? Can the scarring of tissue due to blood testing cause problems? I use the Libre sensors but obviously still need to blood test as well.

I started a new job less than a year ago doing payroll; my Line Manager set me up for access to the company's bank account to enable me to upload payments due when needed (especially salary payments!!) but I've always had problems with the scanner and I've been locked out yet again. I have asked my Manager to ask the Bank support team if diabetes and blood testing could be a problem but I doubt they would know the answer?

So just asking if anyone out there has had a similar problem and/or knows the answer.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Hi. There should be no issue with using them. My school uses them for the canteen and I haven’t had a problem after using them

I would think it will be something else affecting it

Hi Lily
Interesting - can I ask what make of scanner your bank uses. I'm using an Hitachi which is a lot more recent than the ones the rest of my team are using. Just wondering whether its a lot more sensitive than the older machines?

I’ve never had a problem, can you try registering a finger you don’t use for blood testing eg many people don’t use their thumbs

Sorry to year you are getting locked out of your company’s biometric system :(

I’ve not heard others finding this a problem. Do you know if others in your bank struggle too? I’d imagine across an organisation as large as a bank there must be others with diabetes there?

The only adjacent thing I remember is from the early days of Libre1, when some people seemed to ‘fry’ their sensors by walking through the security book scanner things at the entrances.

I don’t hear that happening any more though.

Last edited:
Hi Lily
Interesting - can I ask what make of scanner your bank uses. I'm using an Hitachi which is a lot more recent than the ones the rest of my team are using. Just wondering whether its a lot more sensitive than the older machines?
I have no clue what make they are sorry. They were only installed in January so are still quite new

I guess it depends how sensitive or accurate the scanner is. This is not exactly the same situation but it shows how things can happen. My daughter has spent the last couple of years struggling with OCD related to germs and hand washing (thankfully now getting support and things have improved massively in the last few months). At its worst she would come home from school, go to the loo and then spend over an hour washing her hands over and over, and it took her at least 3 hours to get ready for bed (on one occasion 6 hours), and then start all over again in the morning. Her phone stopped recognising her finger prints to open it up and and she always had to enter her pin which was really long. Now I’m pretty sure you can’t wash your finger prints off, but maybe the skin was sore or inflamed which made a difference. (Come to think of it, my phone struggles to recognise my finger print if I’ve just been washing up or something and my fingers are not completely dry!). You’d think the scanners at banks would be quite a lot more sophisticated, but I can well believe that any sort of cut or damage to the finger tips could make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back