Big increase in HbA1C reults

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrhLeeds

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
In October 2022 my HbA1C result was 44 mmol/mol (down from 47 a year earlier). I have recently had two tests which both came out at 62 mmol/mol.

I have yet to speak to my diabetic nurse or GP, but an increase of 18 mmol/mol in a year seems a lot. Is it actually a big increase? I have gained 1.5 kg in the same time period but am still not as heavy as when my result was 47.

It's not a massive increase, but you have gone from pre-diabetic to diabetic and this can happen quite quickly.

What did you do to get it from 47 to 44?

I exercised more and lost weight when I went from 47 to 44. Thank you for replying, it’s reassuring that it isn’t a large increase.

I exercised more and lost weight when I went from 47 to 44. Thank you for replying, it’s reassuring that it isn’t a large increase.
I felt when mine had gone up from 42mmol/mol to 50 that it was a big increase and I needed to take it seriously. I was aware that my diet had slipped as I retired and I was not doing as much talking as my job was pretty active and being at home meant to piece of cake with the afternoon cuppa became the norm. When I was working I often didn't have time for lunch either.
Made a decision to go down a low carb route and followed the principals in this link https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I lost some weight and reduced my HbA1C down to 42 in 3 months and to 38 in another 6months.
That is now my new way of eating .
I suggest you revisit your diet as it is very easy for things to slip.

It's a good time to start making effort to get it back down to stop it getting higher. Exercise is very good for blood sugar, but changing diet can have the biggest impact. I already did a lot of walking, but now walk every day and do some weights.

I went low carb/low calorie to lose weight and get it under control as I was experiencing a lot of unpleasant side effects (hba1c was 83, but I have no idea how long I'd been diabetic) of high blood sugars.

It took 3 months to get to 36, which was quite a surprise. (And all the horrible side effects went away.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back