BG Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcamish

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone.

Just wondering what people recommend for keeping track of BG levels?

My monitor only has "before meal", "after meal" and "other" as options to flag the readings, and my nurse wants me to be able to mark which is before b'fast, before lunch, before dinner and before sleep.

I've got a log book I can write in but I can't be bothered to work out the averages myself, and I've installed (then removed) nearly 30 apps on my phone that supposedly do it well but have turned out rubbish.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

My meter has times associated with all blood tests, regardless of whether or not I tell it I will bolus for that reading. Perhaps a better meter? I am using the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert.

My meter has times associated with all blood tests, regardless of whether or not I tell it I will bolus for that reading. Perhaps a better meter? I am using the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert.

I've recently started using the Accu-Chek Mobile, although my nurse did mention some that link directly with my phone. I'm still only on a fast/slow mixed insulin twice a day - should be being put on the DAFNE plan next month so she may replace my meter anyway.

The contour next one has an app that allows you to mark a meal as breakfast, lunch, dinner snack etc. It's a Bluetooth connection to your phone or iPad, and it lets you add notes, exercise amount of carbs and insulin. The readings are added automatically. On my old meter I just used the times recorded on the meter as my guide but that won't help you with averages really.

The contour next one app had some stability issues to start with but it's improved now and I've found it useful for identifying trends.

Glad to see your back and you've finally got a decent diagnosis 🙂

I'm amazed if the Logbook on the meter doesn't note the times or have a page with averages.

Good grief - the very first meter I ever had in the late 1970's had that facility!

I'm a spreadsheet nerd. You can put formulas in to do pretty much whatever is useful to you.

I have been using an Accu-Chek Aviva Expert for several years, and it has helped me achieve the best control after 63 years on insulin. I recently took up Accu-Chek's offer of a free Accu-Chek Mobile, partly because it seemed to be saying that I could link it to an iPad. I sent an email asking whether the Mobile offered all the help that I get from the Expert. A new Mobile arrived, but no reply to my enquiry. The Mobile is a sad disappointment. It offers absolutely no advice. It can only apparently be linked to a normal Windows computer, and rather than having a Lightning socket for that link, I had to buy a special USB to Micro B cable on-line. None of the promised advantages apply, except that it does not need test strips, but uses a "test cassette" which lasts for 50 tests, and is no more convenient than a carton of strips. My advice is take a DAFNE course and get an Accu-Chek Expert -- don't touch the Mobile!

Yes Peter, and it's basically the same meter that has extras which acts as the handset (remote control) for their insulin pumps - it is good !

Tom says he'll be getting a new meter when he does DAFNE - so that will either be the Expert or the Insulinx one, I should think - unless there are others that also do those kind of calculations by now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back