BG testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolA

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am really feeling lost and overwhelmed at the moment. I have ordered a BG meter, because I really want to be able to get in control of my T2 diabetes, and I have just been told I can collect it from my pharmacy. The problem is, I have no idea how to use it or what the results should be. I have had no help whatsoever from my GP, other than to be given metformin. No advice, support or help (I am pretty angry about that). There is a lot of information out there, but sorting out what I need is difficult. So, my question is, how do I find the information I need? I cannot change GP, as they are allocated here on a strictly geographical basis…..and I can’t afford to go private.

Hi carol.

Firstly with how to test: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/testing
(theres a video a lil bit down the page)
A general tip is to set the lancer depth low and work your way up until you get a decent sample (i use 1.5 personally). Too deep can nip a little bit.

The results can be used to determine if the food you are eating is too much to cope with.
Record the test reading that you take right before food and then test again 2 hours later.
If the difference is more then 2-3 mmol/l then you should adjust or eliminate the carbs in it.
I would always try a portion adjustment vs a removal first and never eliminate on just one test.

With t2 the target generally is to be no more than 8.5mmol/l 2 hours after a meal but obviously not achievable if you are above that to begin with. Over time by sticking to the 2-3 difference strat, it should start to overall get lower if you are a straightforward t2 🙂

You don't need to really retest foods that you have already worked out to be fine for you.

please ask as many questions as you have, nothing is silly and has probably been asked many times before. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who can answer most things x

Hi carol.

Firstly with how to test: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/testing
(theres a video a lil bit down the page)
A general tip is to set the lancer depth low and work your way up until you get a decent sample (i use 1.5 personally). Too deep can nip a little bit.

The results can be used to determine if the food you are eating is too much to cope with.
Record the test reading that you take right before food and then test again 2 hours later.
If the difference is more then 2-3 mmol/l then you should adjust or eliminate the carbs in it.
I would always try a portion adjustment vs a removal first and never eliminate on just one test.

With t2 the target generally is to be no more than 8.5mmol/l 2 hours after a meal but obviously not achievable if you are above that to begin with. Over time by sticking to the 2-3 difference strat, it should start to overall get lower if you are a straightforward t2 🙂

You don't need to really retest foods that you have already worked out to be fine for you.

please ask as many questions as you have, nothing is silly and has probably been asked many times before. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who can answer most things x
This was so helpful! Thank you. It has relieved some of my stress…..especially about pricking my finger! I had not realised it would be a depth controlled device and not a free lancet….phew. The whole page on testing was great. I am now a week into eliminating sugar and cutting back carbs, so I am keen to check if it is doing anything.

Asking questions here on the forum has proved far better for most people than getting guidance from their GP or nurse. The NHS is sadly quite far behind the curve with dietary advice for Type 2 diabetics, so try not to be too concerned about your lack of support there. No advice can be better than bad advice.
Getting a BG meter is a very good move as it gives you control. There are You Tube tutorial videos which will show you how to use the BG meter and we can advise you on numbers and when to test.
Which BG meter have you purchased. It is important to buy one which has reasonably priced test strips as this is where the the cost of using it soon racks up. For that reason most people on the forum who self fund recommend the Spirit Healthcare Tee2 or the Gluco Navii, so if it isn't one of those you might want to cancel your order and get one of those.

If you find out the cost of the strips for the monitor you are getting and compare with the price od those for the GlucoNvil from Amazon which I believe are £13 for 100 then getting that monitor for £10 could save you money in the long run.
That monitor is very straightforward to use and only requires a drop of blood the size of a pin head so not an arm full as people often imagine.

This was so helpful! Thank you. It has relieved some of my stress…..especially about pricking my finger! I had not realised it would be a depth controlled device and not a free lancet….phew. The whole page on testing was great. I am now a week into eliminating sugar and cutting back carbs, so I am keen to check if it is doing anything.
The first few are always the worst (with the fear hurting more than the actual tests).

We do have the waking thread on this forum section where we post morning readings and have a general chit chat, sharing the highs and lows of living with diabetes and generally doing life with folks in the same boat so to speak. Defo has been a positive for me and my mental health 🙂
Everyone is welcome to jump on in x

If you find out the cost of the strips for the monitor you are getting and compare with the price od those for the GlucoNvil from Amazon which I believe are £13 for 100 then getting that monitor for £10 could save you money in the long run.
That monitor is very straightforward to use and only requires a drop of blood the size of a pin head so not an arm full as people often imagine.
I find mine is temperamental in fairness so probably over compensate with sample size.

The meter will come with a manual to show you how to set the date and time, and how to use the strips and how the readings are kept in the memory - Often the device will show you the average reading for the last week, two weeks and month - so you can see trends if you keep to the same testing regime.
I'm afraid that GPs and chocolate teapots are often equivalent in their helpfulness when dealing with type two. The last comment I got from a GP on the subject of my diabetes was 'You tell me' - I have not seen my own GP since diagnosis in late 2016.
Fortunately I got a cheap to use meter and went low carb, which seems to have fixed things well enough.

just taking the convo back to here a sec carol. do you know what you hba1c (blood test to diagnose diabetes) was? It will be a number over 48 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back