BG rising though not eaten for days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert459

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Have been really sick with bad throat / chest infection (not flu or Covid). Not eaten anything for a week other than pills. On eighth day of antibiotics. BG constantly rises to 15 - 17 and normal dose of Fiasp doesn’t seem to move it. No idea where glucose is coming from. Any ideas?

Have been really sick with bad throat / chest infection (not flu or Covid). Not eaten anything for a week other than pills. On eighth day of antibiotics. BG constantly rises to 15 - 17 and normal dose of Fiasp doesn’t seem to move it. No idea where glucose is coming from. Any ideas?
Your liver will be pumping out some extra from its stores of glycogen. It has this response if it perceives the body might be under stress and need some extra energy to enable the flight or fight mode. It’s quite common for it to do it when we are ill.

You need more insuin if you levels are high like that.
Are you testing for ketones?
Have you been given sick day rules which give you a flow chart to follow with guidance on how much to increase your insulin if you have ketones at certain levels. If ketones go too high though you need to seek medical assistance. The ketones could make you very sick and dangerously ill so it is really important to check for ketones when your levels are persistently mid teens or above and you are ill. Keeping well hydrated is also important.

If you don't have a copy of sick day rules, do say so and I will photograph the page from my DAFNE booklet and post it for you.

Infection rises blood sugars, as does not eating.
Any reason why you are not increasing your insulin to bring the numbers down?

You need more insuin if you levels are high like that.
Are you testing for ketones?
Have you been given sick day rules which give you a flow chart to follow with guidance on how much to increase your insulin if you have ketones at certain levels. If ketones go too high though you need to seek medical assistance. The ketones could make you very sick and dangerously ill so it is really important to check for ketones when your levels are persistently mid teens or above and you are ill. Keeping well hydrated is also important.

If you don't have a copy of sick day rules, do say so and I will photograph the page from my DAFNE booklet and post it for you.
When they gave out the 'sick day rules' flowcharts, on my DAFNE-type course, I said I was going to pin it up in my kitchen-- because if I just put it away somewhere, I was sure that, when I was ill enough to need it, I'd forget about it or be too ill to find it ... And then the nurse kindly laminated it for me!

Robert, here's a good one-- pages 4 and 5: https://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/services/medicine/links/TRENDsickdayrulestype1diabetes.pdf

Hope you feel better soon!

When they gave out the 'sick day rules' flowcharts, on my DAFNE-type course, I said I was going to pin it up in my kitchen-- because if I just put it away somewhere, I was sure that, when I was ill enough to need it, I'd forget about it or be too ill to find it ... And then the nurse kindly laminated it for me!

Robert, here's a good one-- pages 4 and 5: https://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/services/medicine/links/TRENDsickdayrulestype1diabetes.pdf

Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks for this! I have never had these and was going to ask my DSN on my appointment this Monday! Mind you I only have ketostix to test for ketones.

@Robert459 - hope you get better soon, take care!

Thanks for this! I have never had these and was going to ask my DSN on my appointment this Monday! Mind you I only have ketostix to test for ketones.

@Robert459 - hope you get better soon, take care!

Yes, I only have Ketostix to test my urine for Ketones too even though they insisted on changing my BG meter to a Caresens Duo so that I had a capability to test for ketones when I was confirmed Type 1, but then I have failed to get blood ketone test strips put on my prescription list the last 3 years, despite asking the consultant twice and the nurse. I know they are busy so I really haven't pushed it and I can manage with Ketostix if I have to or I could in fact buy a few blood ketone strips myself if I really wanted to, but it would be a waste as in the last 3 years I have never needed them. I hate being stuck with the Caresens BG meter though as it is useless in the cold or even just not warm weather. It nearly spends more time down my bra warming up than my boobs do!! 🙄

Sorry to hear you’ve been feeling so poorly @Robert459 :(

Have you been checked to see if it may have become a bacterial infection?

Have you also checked that your current vial/pen of Fiasp is working as expected. Might be worth trying a fresh one.

There are sick day rules here too, which may help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back