BG levels running high

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was getting readings of 6's mainly then I went away for 2 weeks. I didnt test whilst away and did eat foods I dont usually eat such as bread/ pizza/ white rice and ice cream. I tested today and had a reading of 12.3 Is it possible that my levels ran high whilst on holiday and it will now take a while to get it down again. I follow a low carb diet and drink plenty of water.

I'm guessing that your change of diet cause BG to go up and your body could not bring it down, so the cumulative effect is a high level. Now it's struggling.

Have you tried exercising to bring it down?

I cant exercise as much as I would like due to arthritis but do quite a lot of walking. It did drop to 10 yesterday so hoping that trend continues. Lesson learnt

Whilst you were away and eating foods you don’t normally eat, your body will have been working harder than usual to cope with the foods. Now that you’re eating your normal diet again it’s probably still a bit tired out (in simplistic terms) so will take some time to get back down to your pre holiday levels. It’s okay to eat foods like that sometimes, but if you have a period of it then you need to be patient whilst your body catches up afterwards, and not expect normal bgs as soon as you eat normally again.

Thanks for that. I was getting worried but I think you are right. The problem was we were in Germany and although the hotels had fruit salad it was melon and grapes, they had lots of bread and you could get a boiled egg. There were cheeses which I wont eat in a morning and the yoghurts and cereals were sugary ones. I ended up eating fruit, wholegrain seeded roll with my eggs and tried to drink lots of water. One place we stayed had bacon and sausages and tomatoes so that was a better choice. Relatives booked the evening meal places so I tried to choose the best I could.

Thanks for that. I was getting worried but I think you are right. The problem was we were in Germany and although the hotels had fruit salad it was melon and grapes, they had lots of bread and you could get a boiled egg. There were cheeses which I wont eat in a morning and the yoghurts and cereals were sugary ones. I ended up eating fruit, wholegrain seeded roll with my eggs and tried to drink lots of water. One place we stayed had bacon and sausages and tomatoes so that was a better choice. Relatives booked the evening meal places so I tried to choose the best I could.
It’s okay, you did the best you could and choices were limited, it happens and no one’s expected to make ideal choices all the time. Keep testing and stick with it for a week or so and see if your bgs gradually drops back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back