BG fine-tuning using pharma

Status
Not open for further replies.

finsit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am diet-controlled T2 and have been able to keep my BGs in check for the last 3 years with an average BG of 6 mmol/l. I would like to see the average below 100. I am not insulin resistant, overweight. I am more concerned about my postprandial spikes. On low-carb, i can keep my spikes below 7 mmol/l. Due to low carb, my LDL shot up (im a hyper absorber), so I want to add some carbs back to plummet my LDL. With adding few carbs is definitely going to raise my postprandial. So in the absence of insulin resistance and central obesity/visceral fats, do you think Metformin still can help me get away with few extra carbs or it literally wont help? I know Metformin does help in insulin resistance, but my HOMA-IR is below 1 which is good insulin sensitivity. Thanks.

I am diet-controlled T2 and have been able to keep my BGs in check for the last 3 years with an average BG of 6 mmol/l. I would like to see the average below 100. I am not insulin resistant, overweight. I am more concerned about my postprandial spikes. On low-carb, i can keep my spikes below 7 mmol/l. Due to low carb, my LDL shot up (im a hyper absorber), so I want to add some carbs back to plummet my LDL. With adding few carbs is definitely going to raise my postprandial. So in the absence of insulin resistance and central obesity/visceral fats, do you think Metformin still can help me get away with few extra carbs or it literally wont help? I know Metformin does help in insulin resistance, but my HOMA-IR is below 1 which is good insulin sensitivity. Thanks.
Not sure what you mean about average below 100.
But if your meal increases are not taking you over 8mmol/l after 2 hours that should keep you in normal range for your HbA1C.
Usually low carb helps with cholesterol in some people.*

But if your meal increases are not taking you over 8mmol/l after 2 hours that should keep you in normal range for your HbA1C.
Well adding carbs will take me above that threshold and then it goes down slowly below 100 (5.5 mmol)

Are you picking up some information from US websites @finsit ?

100mg/dl isn’t the way we usually express glucose levels in the UK. We generally stick to mmol/L 🙂

General guidance for people with T2 used to be quotes as 4-7mmol/L before meals and no higher than 8.5mmol/L by 2 hours after meals.

Different members seem to report different levels of impact from Metformin, with some finding it have quite a noticeable impact on BG levels, and others observing a more modest effect.

Are you picking up some information from US websites @finsit ?

100mg/dl isn’t the way we usually express glucose levels in the UK. We generally stick to mmol/L 🙂

General guidance for people with T2 used to be quotes as 4-7mmol/L before meals and no higher than 8.5mmol/L by 2 hours after meals.

Different members seem to report different levels of impact from Metformin, with some finding it have quite a noticeable impact on BG levels, and others observing a more modest effect.
Yes i am part of so many forums from US and mg/dl crosses path with mmol 🙂

Low carb causes cholesterol to go up in some lean people, and from what I have read the medical folk are not sure if it’s a problem or just a natural response to the body using fats for energy production (I’ve seen some presentations with potential pathways that lead to this). I have found that if I reduce carbs too much my cholesterol goes up; if I add a small amount of carbs to meals, it goes down again and my hba1c remains in the 30s. I have virtually no body fat that these days.

Low carb causes cholesterol to go up in some lean people, and from what I have read the medical folk are not sure if it’s a problem or just a natural response to the body using fats for energy production (I’ve seen some presentations with potential pathways that lead to this). I have found that if I reduce carbs too much my cholesterol goes up; if I add a small amount of carbs to meals, it goes down again and my hba1c remains in the 30s. I have virtually no body fat that these days.
Yes exactly they are called lean mass hyper responders, and i am one of those. Im just trying to figure a sweet spot with adding another 30 carbs making a total of 70-80/day and stay close to 30 or adding Metformin, hence the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back