BG and strong pain killers

CathyFP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
I’m not having much luck at the moment having got rid of Covid I now seem to have severe sciatica so have been prescribed very strong pain killers (co-dydramol) containing opioids. They seem to be lowering my blood glucose? Has anyone else seen this effect of painkillers? The lows took me by surprise. Thanks

I’m not having much luck at the moment having got rid of Covid I now seem to have severe sciatica so have been prescribed very strong pain killers (co-dydramol) containing opioids. They seem to be lowering my blood glucose? Has anyone else seen this effect of painkillers? The lows took me by surprise. Thanks
The Covid and then pain was probably making your bgs high and now you’re getting over Covid and the pain is controlled better your bgs are falling

I’ve found Co-codamol lowers my blood sugar @CathyFP so yes, it’s possible. I only take it occasionally but when I do, I often take a little bit off my boluses and/or eat extra. I also go to bed with a higher blood sugar to avoid a bad drop. Set your Low alarm higher too if it’s not in the 5s already.

I hope your sciatica improves soon.

Sorry to hear about your sciatica, and the need for some hefty pain meds @CathyFP

I have only had sciatica briefly, and it was pretty painful. hanging one leg off a step / bottom stair seem to help relieve pressure for me.

Hope your BGs behave themselves, and you recover soon.

Sorry to hear of the pain you are in. Strong painkillers definitely lower my BG, and I found I had to monitor things carefully to find out what reductions I needed.

I hope things settle soon.

Back