Beta Blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been prescribed beta blockers for migraine for many years, but I havent really had a need to take them since the menopause (migraines seemed to be hormonal). I know this may seem a daft question for such a short flight, but in the past my GP has prescribed diazepam for me to take before the flight to prevent the anxiety. I havent got them for tomorrows flight but my daughter suggested having one of the beta blockers as they do help alleviate anxiety. Has anyone any knowledge of whether these are safe to take now that I have diabetes? Conflicting information online and i wont be able to speak to my doctor before I go. I could ask at the chemist at the airport but if someone has taken these I would be interested if you checked with your GP and what they advised. They are still my prescription so in some ways its OK, but then when I was prescribed them I wasnt to my knowledge diabetic. Sorry I am posting a lot today (its anxiety that makes me do this but I know on the last thread you all put my mind at rest and hoping you can do the same on this one too 🙂

Has anyone any knowledge of whether these are safe to take now that I have diabetes?
I've been taking one (low dose Bisoprolol) daily for years to reduce my heart rate a bit (which is fast for no reason they could find), so presumably my GP thought it would be OK for me.

I don't think any of us can say whether yours is safe for you. You could ask a pharmacist.

(Obviously there's generic warnings: taking one has a risk of low blood pressure, etc., so best to take it when sitting down.)

I've been taking one (low dose Bisoprolol) daily for years to reduce my heart rate a bit (which is fast for no reason they could find), so presumably my GP thought it would be OK for me.

I don't think any of us can say whether yours is safe for you. You could ask a pharmacist.

(Obviously there's generic warnings: taking one has a risk of low blood pressure, etc., so best to take it when sitting down.)
Thats interesting Bruce, my heart rate is 110 to 113 mainly but occasionally in the 80s, do you know what would class as a fast heart rate (those rates are first thing when I wake and weigh on the scales) I do have low blood pressure but not terribly low - 110/60 🙂

Thats interesting Bruce, my heart rate is 110 to 113 mainly but occasionally in the 80s, do you know what would class as a fast heart rate
I think 40-100 for a resting heart rate is normal (there's an enormous range: athletes tend to have lower rates).

So if you wanted, I think taking one regularly to reduce your heart rate a bit would be something you could discuss with your GP. But if your (to most of us) high rate doesn't bother you, I'm not sure whether it ought to.

I wanted to reduce mine because it really was bothering me now and again. I could feel my heart pounding with a bit of exercise, and it felt wrong.

I think 40-100 for a resting heart rate is normal (there's an enormous range: athletes tend to have lower rates).

So if you wanted, I think taking one regularly to reduce your heart rate a bit would be something you could discuss with your GP. But if your (to most of us) high rate doesn't bother you, I'm not sure whether it ought to.

I wanted to reduce mine because it really was bothering me now and again. I could feel my heart pounding with a bit of exercise, and it felt wrong.
I have my appointment with my GP in the first week of August, and will add this to my list of questions, I made this appointment because she texted me that my tests showed I was diabetic and she was requesting a liver scan, a Diabetes Clinic appointment and one with the Lipid Clinic, she signed off with please make an appointment with me if you have any questions in the meantime, so I rang to make one and this one is the first available, the questions I have for her so far are:-

1. As my Lipid Appointment has an 8 month waiting list, should I be prescribed statins in the meantime as my cholesterol is so high (9.4)
  2. Will I need to get my eyes scanned and checked and will this be automatic or do I have to request it? (I have taken this into my own hands as had blurry vision - luckily scan is clear and just needed stronger prescription)
  3. Do you have a diet plan I can follow and is there an issue with fast weight loss as I have a fatty liver?
  4. Is it safe to take antidepressant's/anti anxiety medication?
  5. I have pins and needles in my right hand on and off, is this related or does a separate investigation need to be made?
  6. I have a pain in my right top part of my back behind my shoulder, it feels almost bruised but also throbs and is very similar to the pain I had when I had gall stones, it is directly behind the sores that are not healing and getting larger - I was under a dermatologist but he has handed me back to the GP after my blood tests
  7. Can I continue with the strong steroids and antihistamine prescribed by the dermatologist? They helped stop me itching and reduce the swelling but is there a contraindication with diabetes?
  8. There is glaucoma and alzeimers in my family, my mum and gran and uncle had them both and also high cholesterol, is this genetic and as I have diabetes am I more likely to get the other conditions as well and how can I prevent them?

As well as getting my eyes checked I have had a pedicure and was told my feet have no issues (she wasn't a podiatrist but sees a lot of feet), I have no cracked or dry skin and have no nerve damage. Weirdly though a few years ago I was a keen rambler and used to do a lot of charity walks. I took part in a 13 mile midnight walk for the local hospice and bought some shoes (barefoot I thing they were called, very expensive and considered the best footwear for runners and walkers) stupidly I didn't wear them in, and when I got to about the 5 mile point it started pouring with rain, I discovered my shoes were not waterproof and the last 8 miles I was in agony, my big toe was bleeding and the nail went black and fell off (I hadnt got diabetes then or I would have panicked). I did raise a lot of money for the hospice though so all worth it, but my feet back then as a keen walker werent in good condition, lots of hard skin and sore bumpy toes from where shoes had rubbed, my heels would often have blisters (and this is from wearing trainers etc not high heels). I have discovered Birkenstock for sandals and wear sketchers to walk the dogs and now my feet are one of my best features so I am thankful for my feet and eyes being unaffected. Just need to work on my liver and cholesterol 🙂

You aren’t going to cover all those questions in one appointment so you need to prioritise and/or book a second appointment to go through more of them.

Beta blockers are usually fine, I’ve taken 3 a day for years. They’re not advised for diabetics as can mask hypo symptoms but I still pick up when I’m hypo anyway.

They’re not advised for diabetics as can mask hypo symptoms
Ah, that makes sense, I can see how that could happen.

I'll still keep taking mine: they keep me feeling more normal, in that I can go for a walk without feeling my heart pounding. (I did lose my awareness of hypos but that was because I was having a hypo most nights (which Libre showed as soon as I tried one, of course), and fortunately my awareness returned quite quickly after that was fixed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back