Best way to keep Insulin Pen in Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merryterry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am sure this one has come up before but what is the best way to store full insulin pen long term in car so that it is always there, in case I get held up, alongside my emergency kit of Glucogel, Glicose Tablets etc

I am sure this one has come up before but what is the best way to store full insulin pen long term in car so that it is always there, in case I get held up, alongside my emergency kit of Glucogel, Glicose Tablets etc
I doubt that's really practical, even if you keep a pen in there only for a month at a time. When parked, cars can get too hot, I think, and (more rarely) too cold.

And frozen in winter.
My insulin goes everywhere with me, both basal and bolus along with all my other kit like testing stuff (Libre and meter) and hypo treatments and phone and money, so if I am driving it is with me in the car in my bag and if I am walking, running or riding it is in my pocket or back pack. If I am in the shower it is just outside the shower and if I am in bed it is under the pillow with my Libre reader. I am not comfortable (feel naked almost) without all my gear. Having a small back pack has been the most useful thing for me so that eve when I am working outside, it means I still have everything with me but my hands are free to work.

I am with everyone else - I do not keep my insulin anywhere apart from in my fridge and with me at all times. I do not leave the house without insulin, hypo treatment and glucose monitor.
I never know how long I could be out, even if I head to the shops for 30 minutes. I could get waylaid at any time.

Small Frio !! but anyway keep checking the expiry date on the pen and put it back into circulation in your house fridge regularly before a month is up since you put it there.

Won't help enough if your car is parked in the sun, though. I still think it's just not something that's a good idea. I can see the appeal, but I think it's just going to waste lots of insulin without actually ever being useful.
Plus Frio is dangerous in cold weather - it will freeze and kill the insulin as it does not work through insulation but through condensation.
And you will have to keep soaking it every few days.

If you must keep insulin in the car id just put it in it. It’s not particularly hot or cold at the moment. Surely though you take your blood glucose meter to the car with you every time you get in or out of it. So just take your insulinpen too.

There are those little in-car fridges that run off the battery, but I don’t think that fits your scenario, as I’m sure they would drain the battery or most likely not run when the car was off.

Alas I think spare insulin just isn’t one of those things that you can store long-term in a car like that :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back