Best place to purchase for self funded Libre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necole

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hi All,

My mother-in-law has insulin dependent diabetes following surgical resection of an insulinoma. She had trialled a Libre coming out of hospital however has been declined continued prescription.

While we look into how we can challenge this we would like to self fund her Libre sensors.

I would appreciate the expertise of this group to advise me the best way to self-fund this.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I buy mine direct from Abbott, and you can tick a box to get the vat taken off when purchasing.

Hi All,

My mother-in-law has insulin dependent diabetes following surgical resection of an insulinoma. She had trialled a Libre coming out of hospital however has been declined continued prescription.

While we look into how we can challenge this we would like to self fund her Libre sensors.

I would appreciate the expertise of this group to advise me the best way to self-fund this.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
I always ordered mine direct from Abbot when I was self funding. They are normally dispatched promptly, and come out the same price or slightly cheaper depending on which pharmacy you co pare them with,
I'm sorry to hear she isn’t getting them prescribed. It took me. along time and a lot of nagging to get mine on prescription. Have you looked at the NICE guidelines? It might help your cause if you go through them and work out how your mother in law might fit one of the categories.
I understand the guidelines are being revised, and hopefully in April the criteria will be a bit loose, and more people will get access to them.

Thanks Grovesy and Robin.

@Robin, the draft guidelines look great for people with Type 1 but unfortunately my MIL isn't Type 1, although totally dependent on insulin!

Thanks Grovesy and Robin.

@Robin, the draft guidelines look great for people with Type 1 but unfortunately my MIL isn't Type 1, although totally dependent on insulin!
It sounds like it’s what is now classified as Type 3c, insulin dependent by reason of pancreatic insufficiency, usually caused by pancreatitis, or a tumour, removal of the pancreas etc. This is usually treated as Type 1, and the same treatments and technology should be available to your MIL. If she isn’t being classed as effectively a Type 1, she should insist that she is!
I'll tag our resident expert, @eggyg , who is 3c, and has had to jump through hoops to be classified as a Type 1 and get the Libre, though I know she’s rushed off her feet with family at the moment, so perhaps when she has time she can give you some input.

Hi Robin,

Thanks hugely. Yes, I would classify her as Type 3c.

I have just found the Type 3c guidance in the NICE pancreatitis guidelines. Looks like I should be able to use this as the link to the Type 1 guidelines.

Necole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back