Best place to locate Omnipod 5 pump for trampolining

LorrieEms

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello. My daughter has just had an Omnipod 5 “installed” and first time round it’s on her tummy. She has trampolining lessons and obviously doesn’t want her pump to make contact with the trampoline. Does anyone who does trampolining have a preferred body area to situate their pump? Many thanks

Welcome @LorrieEms 🙂 Could you phone her DSN and ask? Is she looping with the Omnipod? I do trampoling occasionally but I have a tubed pump so can just take it off and reconnect it afterwards. When she’s due to change her pod? Tagging @PhoebeC as I think she uses the Omnipod.

I would imaging the tummy and front of the thighs and perhaps chest are going to be the areas that are least likely to make contact with the trampoline whilst bouncing and turning, but getting on and off the trampoline, those areas might me more vulnerable and therefore she may need to learn to be careful of it in those situations.

My kid just had a sensor when he was trampolining. We used vet wrap to reinforce it on his arm and never lost one. I would think the abdomen would be fairly well protected but she would need to be careful when getting on and off the trampoline not to knock it. There are various patches and other ways to reinforce it to make it less likely to knock it off.

I’ve played full contact rugby with my Omnipod, training twice a week and matches for a while rugby season.
For matches the only place it won’t get knocked (and I dint even need to think about it) is my bottom. For training if we will be doing full contact a lot again bottom best place. I’ve had it in other places stomach and legs and had it knocked but never lost one. But it did hurt, a lot when it was knocked on my stomach, which is not nice.

I’m not sure which parts of her body will be in contact with the trampoline but with a few sessions and pods you will know which areas to avoid.

I find it’s about thinking what you are doing for the next 3 days and considering that as well as where the pod has been recently to make sure you get good rotation.

I have used vet wrap for my libre and stickers over it, only when very wet and muddy, again I’ve done 3 full seasons in the uk and never lost a sensor at training or during matches.
Omnipod do have the cover patches and have sent me some, I have used these but I don’t think they add that much protection unless you get a pod that doesn’t seem very sticky I don’t tend to use those.

Welcome @LorrieEms 🙂 Could you phone her DSN and ask? Is she looping with the Omnipod? I do trampoling occasionally but I have a tubed pump so can just take it off and reconnect it afterwards. When she’s due to change her pod? Tagging @PhoebeC as I think she uses the Omnipod.
Hi Inka and thank you for your welcome. DSN is a good idea. We will check before trampolining resumes in the autumn. Yes she’s looping but it’s not one we can disconnect. We’ve done a few site changes since your message and checking which might be best suited. Thanks so much.

My kid just had a sensor when he was trampolining. We used vet wrap to reinforce it on his arm and never lost one. I would think the abdomen would be fairly well protected but she would need to be careful when getting on and off the trampoline not to knock it. There are various patches and other ways to reinforce it to make it less likely to knock it off.
Yes good thought about getting on and off. She has dislodged one by leaning on her tummy so that’s good to be aware. Yes, we’re going to try tape. Thank you for your advice.

I’ve played full contact rugby with my Omnipod, training twice a week and matches for a while rugby season.
For matches the only place it won’t get knocked (and I dint even need to think about it) is my bottom. For training if we will be doing full contact a lot again bottom best place. I’ve had it in other places stomach and legs and had it knocked but never lost one. But it did hurt, a lot when it was knocked on my stomach, which is not nice.

I’m not sure which parts of her body will be in contact with the trampoline but with a few sessions and pods you will know which areas to avoid.

I find it’s about thinking what you are doing for the next 3 days and considering that as well as where the pod has been recently to make sure you get good rotation.

I have used vet wrap for my libre and stickers over it, only when very wet and muddy, again I’ve done 3 full seasons in the uk and never lost a sensor at training or during matches.
Omnipod do have the cover patches and have sent me some, I have used these but I don’t think they add that much protection unless you get a pod that doesn’t seem very sticky I don’t tend to use those.
Hi Phoebe. I’m thinking for trampolining arms might be best but as you say, it may need to be some degree of trying which site is best. My daughter dislodged her first pod by accident on her tummy and I know she would agree with you about that unpleasant experience. Vet tape sounds a good idea as I imagine that is designed to be extra robust. Thanks so much.

I would imaging the tummy and front of the thighs and perhaps chest are going to be the areas that are least likely to make contact with the trampoline whilst bouncing and turning, but getting on and off the trampoline, those areas might me more vulnerable and therefore she may need to learn to be careful of it in those situations.
I think arms might potentially be best but I also think your suggestion of front of thighs could work as I don’t think she makes as much contact there. But yes climbing on and off could be one to be more cautious with so thank you.

Yes I would say front of thighs too.
I have found with pump location it is like everything with diabetes if you give it a few attempts you should work out what works best for you.

But she definitely can stay active and that’s the point in patch pumps.

Just a thought from another omnipod user. You can keep the old pods and just pull the cannula out of them. Then just stick the old ones onto different sites so you can use them as test dummies without actually spilling the live one

Back