Best Medical ID ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I used to have a medic alert bracelet but lost it a while back.

I can see a number of different medical ID bracelets, bands etc on sale from a number of organisations now and wondered which people think are best and why.

Thanks

We bought our daughter a pink band with a metal tag on it which you could have any text you like engraved on it. So we put her name, type 1 diabetes with insulin pump, and my phone number as the contact. If you just google it loads of sites come up and you can get all sorts of different styles, some personalised to you, some just standard. It depends what you want, how conspicuous you want it to be etc etc. At a later date we also bought her a set of cards, one credit card sized one which she keeps in her wallet, and a couple of key ring ones which she puts on bags and so on. Those just came from Amazon and just had spaces for us to fill the relevant information in. She also has a lanyard with a card on the end which she bought herself for different conditions, just so that she can feel safe when she’s out without me.

The trouble with medic alert is that you have to pay a subscription and I think it’s quite expensive. My daughter so far has never needed any of her IDs, the only time an ambulance was called for her it was not diabetes related and she was at school so the staff were able to give all the relevant details to the paramedics. They are a good idea just for peace of mind but I don’t think you need to spend a fortune on them.

We bought our daughter a pink band with a metal tag on it which you could have any text you like engraved on it. So we put her name, type 1 diabetes with insulin pump, and my phone number as the contact. If you just google it loads of sites come up and you can get all sorts of different styles, some personalised to you, some just standard. It depends what you want, how conspicuous you want it to be etc etc. At a later date we also bought her a set of cards, one credit card sized one which she keeps in her wallet, and a couple of key ring ones which she puts on bags and so on. Those just came from Amazon and just had spaces for us to fill the relevant information in. She also has a lanyard with a card on the end which she bought herself for different conditions, just so that she can feel safe when she’s out without me.

The trouble with medic alert is that you have to pay a subscription and I think it’s quite expensive. My daughter so far has never needed any of her IDs, the only time an ambulance was called for her it was not diabetes related and she was at school so the staff were able to give all the relevant details to the paramedics. They are a good idea just for peace of mind but I don’t think you need to spend a fortune on them.

As back up put your details on homescreen on phone, on mine ticker goes along screen saying I have type 1 diabetes followed by wife's mobile number. Not sure if its doable on all mobiles, mines Samsung & so we're ones before that.

I got a MedicAlert bracelet very soon after diagnosis. I would never not have one. Other close family have them too (for other conditions). It’s not just the immediate info on the bracelet, it’s the fact MedicAlert hold emergency contacts and medical information too. They’re also international and I like having that ID when abroad and knowing they have multi-lingual operators too. Also, it’s highly recognisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back