Best Home cholesterol and glucose testing kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Benbow

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Can anyone recommend a home cholesterol and glucose testing kit? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to start testing trigs, HDL, LDL, and TC/HDL and glucose myself every few months or so, in the privacy of my own home. I have heard of URIT, and CUROFIT, before, any ideas?

I am happy to have mine checked approx every 6 months by my surgery. I’m not sure if those are available without a formal diabetes diagnosis, but I’d imagine an annual check, and may be one more might be offered. Which would give you reasonable coverage I’d have thought?

How do you intend to use the information from the more frequent checks? Do you have particular concerns around your cholesterol levels? (eg do you have family history of high cholesterol). What steps are you taking to try to keep your blood fats in the recommended ranges?

I am happy to have mine checked approx every 6 months by my surgery. I’m not sure if those are available without a formal diabetes diagnosis, but I’d imagine an annual check, and may be one more might be offered. Which would give you reasonable coverage I’d have thought?

How do you intend to use the information from the more frequent checks? Do you have particular concerns around your cholesterol levels? (eg do you have family history of high cholesterol). What steps are you taking to try to keep your blood fats in the recommended ranges?
Just a low carb, low sugar diet, exercise, and now bi-weekly fasting are the steps I'm taking. I don't like going to the Doctors for checks, because I don't want any surprises, and I don't like Big Pharma. I want to avoid the medical system if possible, so I want to be more proactive in my own health and do my own monitoring.

Just a low carb, low sugar diet, exercise, and now bi-weekly fasting are the steps I'm taking. I don't like going to the Doctors for checks, because I don't want any surprises, and I don't like Big Pharma. I want to avoid the medical system if possible, so I want to be more proactive in my own health and do my own monitoring.

If you’d like to reduce your cholesterol levels without medication, then there are a few practical steps you can take which have been generally shown to be moderately effective

Reducing your intake of saturated fats
Reducing alcohol intake
Eating more veg, and upping fibre/soluble fibre
Increasing exercise
Stopping smoking

Some forum members have found that eating lower carb as you have been doing has a beneficial effect on their cholesterol as well as their BGs.

You may decide you need to balance varying factors between foods which have a reputation for helping with cholesterol but may be less helpful to your BG levels (eg porridge). It all depends on how your individual body responds!

As I understand it, the most effective cholesterol lowering technique is still medication. But lifestyle changes can have some effect 🙂

A home testing kit which wouldn't need a second mortgage would be pretty inaccurate for something like cholesterol as the laboratory instruments cost many thousands of £.
You do see home testing kits for HbA1C but I would also question their accuracy but the home testing monitors for spot checks on blood glucose are good for monitoring progress and looking for trends rather than absolute individual readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back