1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Best day so far.

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by rebrascora, Oct 10, 2019.

1. rebrascora

rebrascora Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    Just want to report that I have had my best day today since diagnosis in mid Feb.
    Woke up really early to a 6.5 which considering my recent fasting readings in the 10s, was cause for celebration in itself. Had a very busy day and got lots done and felt really motivated and all 7 of my subsequent readings were below 6.5 which is a first me and I am absolutely delighted. Granted I dropped a little bit low to 3.4 in the early evening but I felt it and treated it very easily. I really feel like I achieved a lot today and felt the most positive mentally that I have in a long, long time! Fingers crossed I will have another good day tomorrow.

2. Northerner

Northerner Admin (Retired)

Type 1
    That's really good to hear Barbara! :) I hope you have many similar days, and it becomes the norm for you! :)

3. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    What a great post to read this morning.
    Such a boost when things just work out.
    Here’s to more of the same

4. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Yay! Glad you had such a good BG day.

Hope you have many more :)

5. KARNAK

KARNAK Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Well done Barbara have a drink on me, [​IMG]here`s to many more good day`s.xxx

6. Anitram

Anitram Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Thanks fantastic, Barbara. Thanks for sharing it.

Martin

7. rebrascora

Type 1
    Thanks for the kind messages of support. I have managed a second day of below 7 readings so far and I have a fantastic flatish in range line on my Sugar Diary app but unfortunately I am getting horribly stressed about a Western Riding training day I am taking one of my horses to tomorrow, so I am not sure if I will still be below 7 now and I have resorted to rum and (diet) coke to take the edge off my edge. I am so frustrated that I suffer with anxiety like this when it is supposed to be an enjoyable event! Going away for the day with one of my horse is far enough out of my comfort zone as it is without having to take my diabetes into consideration as well and pack a picnic.... Arrgh! It is so stupid to have a panic attack about such a thing!

8. Northerner

Northerner Admin (Retired)

Type 1
    I hope the day goes well Barbara :) Wishing you peace and calm :)

9. rebrascora

Type 1
    Many thanks. Readings went back up into the 9-12s but yes I had a great day today thanks and my little horse did really well and I am very proud of her and after getting back home I had dropped to 6.5, so hopefully I can get back to some good in range numbers although DAFNE course starts on Monday and whilst I am looking forward to it, I will also be stressed about attending... getting animals sorted before I go and tackling rush hour traffic etc.... all very much out of my comfort zone these days.

everydayupsanddowns likes this.
  10. rebrascora

Type 1
    Very pleased to report that I woke up to a fantastic 5.1 this morning (so nearly a HS!!) and things are staying pretty stable so far. I feel like I may have turned a corner with this. The 2 things which have changed in the last week or so and which will no doubt have had an impact are .....
    1. I have started HRT
    2. I have, at long last, got the go ahead to split my Levemir dose.
    The DSN who is taking my DAFNE course, instructed me to split it prior to the course commencing. She suggested I do it yesterday but I decided to start it last weekend instead because it will take me time to get into a routine of using it twice a day..... and I was right. I made several mistakes in that first week..... forgetting to take it in the morning and then giving myself a "best guess" intermediary dose in the evening so that I could get back on track the next morning. I do rather cynically wonder if this is a ploy on the part of the local Diabetes team to make their DAFNE results better than they would ordinarily be, by splitting the dose right before the course, so that results afterwards show a marked improvement.

My gut feeling though is that the HRT is having the more significantly beneficial effect both on my BG levels and also my mental health..... I feel so much more positive the past few days, despite my anxiety attack about yesterday.... which is normal for me. I feel like someone has opened a window in my mind and let in some sunshine and fresh air. I am sleeping so much better and waking up feeling refreshed. I really hope this feeling lasts and my BG levels continue to be stable.

11. TheClockworkDodo

TheClockworkDodo Well-Known Member

Type 1
    That's great, Barbara, I hope it lasts for you x

12. rebrascora

Type 1
    Thanks. I am just finished my second day of DAFNE and really enjoying it but managed to hypo this morning as I got ready to leave the house. I had been up since 6 and had breakfast and mucked out 4 horses before I got showered and jumped in the car to head off and, inspired by the course I had decided to be a little more confident/adventurous with my morning NR and breakfast without factoring in the increased activity the previous night and that morning to get GGs and chucks and cats sorted for the day. Thankfully the DSN and dietician were great, and very understanding as you would expect them to be of course, and we discussed the reasons for it in class when I eventually made it to the session,. Hopefully others learned from my error of judgement too, although assessing the impact of exercise/manual work seems to be much harder than assessing carbs on a plate and how they might affect you!
    Other than that 3.4 this morning I have been getting some much better readings though.

KARNAK and everydayupsanddowns like this.
  13. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Great news Barbara! Hope your new-found positivity lasts through the winter and that you find DAFNE really helps you.

rebrascora likes this.