Best BG monitor for accuracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LynneCH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, lets take the plunge! Need a BG monitor, never had one before for me, but we always had the Abbott Freestyle when I was working (retired RGN) what is the most reliable, cost effective in relation to test strips and overall easiest in use?
Thanks!

Well, lets take the plunge! Need a BG monitor, never had one before for me, but we always had the Abbott Freestyle when I was working (retired RGN) what is the most reliable, cost effective in relation to test strips and overall easiest in use?
Thanks!
The GlucoNavii or Spirit TEE2 are in expensive and have the cheaper test strips but do shop around as prices vary

@LynneCH, just wanted to add my experiences here. I ordered the GlucoNavii a couple of months ago based on the recommendations in the forums here. I was also just prescribed the Contour Plus Blue by my GP. Both of these monitors are giving me the same blood sugar reading, so seem to be as accurate as each other. Hope that helps!

When my local ICB decided to restrict test strip prescribing to a brand I found totally unsatisfactory and which they wanted to restrict to 50 every 3 months, I made the decision to self-fund. I find Contour Plus Blue invariably the cheapest (currently £8.59 per 50 from Chemist4U) and the meter very reliable. All meters must meet a certain standard so there is not much variation between them, but Contour meters do have a good reputation for accuracy.

My GP prescribed me the tee2+ and never had an issue with it.
£12.99 from spirit healthcare direct (the makers), strips, im not sure of the cheapest source.
There is an app and you can bluetooth sync your meter to it which has some fairly decent (all be it a bit clunky) places to log other health things like bp, weight, food, exercise.

Ascensia were giving away their Contour Plus Blue meter at one point & the strips aren't too pricey if you hunt around. Give them a call on 0345 600 6030.

It would be useful to know if the offer is still available as I've posted it a few times, but no one has ever come back to say they got one or not.

Ascensia were giving away their Contour Plus Blue meter at one point & the strips aren't too pricey if you hunt around. Give them a call on 0345 600 6030.

It would be useful to know if the offer is still available as I've posted it a few times, but no one has ever come back to say they got one or not.
I had a look earlier but there doesn’t seem to be a free offer at present, only for the Next One, which uses much more expensive strips.

I've got a Tee2+. It would be good if there was one with 100% accuracy. But at the end of the day you just test twice if in doubt.

My GP prescribed me the tee2+ and never had an issue with it.
£12.99 from spirit healthcare direct (the makers), strips, im not sure of the cheapest source.
There is an app and you can bluetooth sync your meter to it which has some fairly decent (all be it a bit clunky) places to log other health things like bp, weight, food, exercise.
Same here. The app is very useful that I've got on my phone.

It would be good if there was one with 100% accuracy.
I think it could be interesting but the accuracy is good enough to dose insulin from so there is no need for 100%.
It is easy to confuse the precision with accuracy so we often have to remind ourselves that the difference between a reading of 5.8 and 6.5 could be the same thing: with a 15% accuracy tolerance, a "true" 6.0 could be reported as anything between 5.1 and 6.9.
We quickly learn to live with an trust our meters.

I think it could be interesting but the accuracy is good enough to dose insulin from so there is no need for 100%.
It is easy to confuse the precision with accuracy so we often have to remind ourselves that the difference between a reading of 5.8 and 6.5 could be the same thing: with a 15% accuracy tolerance, a "true" 6.0 could be reported as anything between 5.1 and 6.9.
We quickly learn to live with an trust our meters.
Yes. Good point. I think a Rolex is going a bit too far. A Rotary or maybe Timex is sufficient.

It would be good if there was one with 100% accuracy.
Would it, though? I must admit I'm OK with +/- 1 (which is roughly the accuracy in the standard within the normal range). Better accuracy really wouldn't allow me to change anything so I'm fine with the current standards and I think increasing accuracy and charging more (which would presumably be required) would be a net negative.

Would it, though? I must admit I'm OK with +/- 1 (which is roughly the accuracy in the standard within the normal range). Better accuracy really wouldn't allow me to change anything so I'm fine with the current standards and I think increasing accuracy and charging more (which would presumably be required) would be a net negative.
It's like quantity or quality. Ideally you want best of both worlds.

And you don't care when measuring a quantity that can easily change 10% in 10 minutes anyway.
Don't get hung up on a number. The question was about accuracy. I'm just saying it would be nice to have a result that you can rely on. I watched a documentary about a testing lab that was run at the time of the pandemic. What was going on inside was shocking to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back