best and worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I have just remembered another FFL tip.

*The* very best breakfast food to have that is guaranteed not to cause a spike is plain yoghurt (not the ones full of sugar) with any red berries.

*The* very worst breakfast food to cause a dramatic spike are 'rice krispies'.😱🙂Bev

Im not surprised I used to give Carly some rice krispies and her blood level go whoosh!!

oh bums, I have just bought Rice Crispies for a wee treat - ah well

I was given a bowl of rice krispies when I experienced my first ever hypo, inthe middle of the night when I was in hospital. The nurse clearly didn't know what she was doing as she also encouraged me to spoon about a pound of sugar on it, plus gave me a cup of similarly sugary tea - I went from 2.0 to 29 in about 15 minutes! 😱

Thanks bev (throws rice krispies in bin:D)

I have just remembered another FFL tip.

*The* very best breakfast food to have that is guaranteed not to cause a spike is plain yoghurt (not the ones full of sugar) with any red berries.

I really don't believe this would work for me, would definitely spike! I'll test it out sometime.

I am doing something right then have started having natural plain yogurt blended with a few stawberries and sometimes other fruits as well

Actually I think my main problem would be working out the carbs in plain yogurt and the berries.

Actually I think my main problem would be working out the carbs in plain yogurt and the berries.

I don't think it would be hard! The yoghurt should have info on the package, and a quick google or look in the Carb Counting book would probably sort the berries 🙂

That is good to know because I eat a ridiculous amount of yoghurt. Last week I got through 4 450g pots 😱

*The* very worst breakfast food to cause a dramatic spike are 'rice krispies'.😱🙂Bev

Phew... I was wprried about ny bumper box of cocopops til you said that! /Heheh!

Just to let you guys know...

I had a bowl of cereal this morning (37.5g carbs per 50g serving, I had a 50g serving which is tiny as the cereal is heavy LOL), plus a mug of yoghurt and berries (don't get me grumbling on the cost of fresh berries - I'll buy frozen ones next time).

I bolused 15 mins before hand like a good girl, 6.9 before breakfast, 6.3 an hour after bolusing, 5.2 2 hours after bolusing. I did then hypo, which makes me think if I see a pattern of hypos after breakfast I will review my ratios. But it was great not to spike up above 10!

I've always been fobbed off by my DSN telling me "it's normal for a non-diabetic to spike up to 14 after a meal" (uh, was that meal purely lucozade or something?!) - at FFL one of the Doctors showed a graph of a non diabetic post meal and it showed they didn't go above 8. Fair play it was only one graph of one person, but I think it says a lot (and makes me angrier with my DSN...)

Sounds good Shiv, might have to try it! What was the cereal? Ive been eating chocolate Weetabix lately, but think that might be a bad choice :D

what yoguhurt do you buy? i am currently using sainsburys be good to yourself , and i tend to add some dried apriocts/prunes and some seeds!! i find i hardly need any insulin as there really isnt much carb!!!
i do love rice krispies! although not had them for a very long time!

Sounds good Shiv, might have to try it! What was the cereal? Ive been eating chocolate Weetabix lately, but think that might be a bad choice :D

I used to eat Weetabix, as way back when spoke to a Dietician I was told that fibre in things was good at slowing down absorption and that pretty much anything 'brown' would be gentle on BGs.

Imagine my surprise when I finally started trying to tackle post-meal spikes this year (long overdue) and discovered that the GI of Weetabix (and Bran Flakes for that matter) was about the same as jam doughnuts. Right up there in the 'high' category at 75. Not sure what the 'chocolate' would do. Ironically may even make it slightly better. Something to do with the way the grains are so completely mashed and squashed during manufacture apparently.

Of course, as with all these things, the printed numbers won't necessarily reflect how these things will affect you. (GI is only measured by averaging the change in BG from a fairly small sample of people after all). Once again, the only thing we can do is eat, test, observe and see what works for us 🙂

I have a Collins Gem GI book and the GI of many cereals is scary.

I stick to porridge

I used to eat Weetabix, as way back when spoke to a Dietician I was told that fibre in things was good at slowing down absorption and that pretty much anything 'brown' would be gentle on BGs.

Imagine my surprise when I finally started trying to tackle post-meal spikes this year (long overdue) and discovered that the GI of Weetabix (and Bran Flakes for that matter) was about the same as jam doughnuts. Right up there in the 'high' category at 75. Not sure what the 'chocolate' would do. Ironically may even make it slightly better. Something to do with the way the grains are so completely mashed and squashed during manufacture apparently.

Of course, as with all these things, the printed numbers won't necessarily reflect how these things will affect you. (GI is only measured by averaging the change in BG from a fairly small sample of people after all). Once again, the only thing we can do is eat, test, observe and see what works for us 🙂

Wondered why my levels were always high after having weetabix for breakfast!! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back