Best alternative to Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

epguy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was taken off 2000mg Metformin per day (for 18 months)when my body hair began to fall out ( its known to dramatically lower testosterone!)
I lost 15kg (now 70kg-11stone 5'11") and my Hba1c was down to 40 but after 3 months and a foreign holiday (couldn't find my favourite zero sugar mixer in the bars!) its back up to 59.
If I was offered another drug what would be an alternative to Metformin? There are so many out there; all with different advantages/disadvantages but my testosterone is back to normal and I would rather not go onto a drug that may have the same drawbacks.

Hi. It's unusual for Metformin to have any effect on Testosterone. There is no real equivalent to Metformin but other drugs which may help in different way

Do you not think that by making some concerted effort with your diet that you could bring your levels down. Getting a bit more exercise would help as well if you can.
Have a look at this link to see if a low carb approach would help you before trying other medication.

@epguy there is Berberine - which is supposed to be effective - but simply eating low carb is a very effective way to lower blood glucose levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back