Berry wine could help diabetics control their blood sugar levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeusXM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...elp-diabetics-control-blood-sugar-levels.html

Now a study from the University of Illinois, has found that compounds found in both blueberry and blackberry wines inhibit two enzymes that are involved in the body's absorption of carbohydrates.

The team said lab tests revealed a blueberry-blackberry blend of wine inhibited the carb-degrading enzymes, known as alpha-amylase and alpha-glucosidase, almost as much as an anti-diabetes drug.

They now hope to create a non-alcoholic fermented fruit drink that keeps blood sugar levels low but also contains anti-inflammatory compounds found in the original wine.

Not necessarily convinced it'll be as effective as it's made out. But I do think this article needs to be singled out for actually being accurate. I think this is the first article I've ever read in a mainstream newspaper that:

• Properly acknowledges the relationship between carb intake and blood glucose
  • Actually bothers to make a distinction between T1 and T2
  • Keeps the T2 prognosis as 'can' get worse, rather than 'will'
  • Points out there are certain lifestyle factors associated with T2 without declaring they cause it or blaming it on people

I suspect probably this info was in a press release and was copied-and-pasted but even so, if we could get more articles of this accuracy in the media, that'd be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back