Berberine

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I have just heard about Berberine. Any opinions? I am a bit sceptical.

my husband takes Berberine and has done for over 2 years with a break every so often, he started taking it when he was diagnosed
with lung cancer, after we did some research he decided to take it he has regular bloods done, his Oncologist is aware he take this along with other supplements, he is also a T2 diabetic and he no longer takes or needs medication.

my husband takes Berberine and has done for over 2 years with a break every so often, he started taking it when he was diagnosed
with lung cancer, after we did some research he decided to take it he has regular bloods done, his Oncologist is aware he take this along with other supplements, he is also a T2 diabetic and he no longer takes or needs medication.
I’ve just brought some of these. Not sure if they’ll work but worth a try. Hope your husband’s treatment is going well

I have been taking Berberine for a while now and it seems to have lowered my BG (especially in the afternoon/evenings and settled my BP. Could all be just a coincidence tho.

I have been taking Berberine for a while now and it seems to have lowered my BG (especially in the afternoon/evenings and settled my BP. Could all be just a coincidence tho.
My husband has also had better blood pressure readings it used to be in the 140 over 80 now he has a steady 120 over 60 he is almost 3 years into taking it

My husband has also had better blood pressure readings it used to be in the 140 over 80 now he has a steady 120 over 60 he is almost 3 years into taking it
Forgot to say he doesn't take his diabetic meds anymore

Are or were any of you taking metformin? Did you have to stop taking that? Or does it work in conjunction with it? Looking to start taking it instead. Rather have herbal than pharmaceutical products.

Very interesting, this could aid my blood sugar and blood lipids. I will need to check for drug interactions first tho as I am on beta blockers for my ectopic heartbeat.

Are or were any of you taking metformin? Did you have to stop taking that? Or does it work in conjunction with it? Looking to start taking it instead. Rather have herbal than pharmaceutical products.
This article is quite informative:-

QFT, berberine is a DPP IV inhibitor that works better than metformin.
Unfortunately it also has the same negative effects;

“Berberine impairs muscle metabolism by two novel mechanisms. It impairs mitochonidrial function stimulating the expression of atrogin-1 without affecting phosphorylation of forkhead transcription factors. The increase in atrogin-1 not only stimulated protein degradation but also suppressed protein synthesis, causing muscle atrophy.”

This I have also experienced myself when I was using berberine, despite lots of exercise I didn't gain any muscles untill I stopped taking it.
It didn't effect my husbands Muscle gain, as i said he started taking it as part of his Cancer arsenal but also has Diabetes, he has taken it for almost 3 years, and he visits the gym 5 times a week his muscle gain is very noticeable

I agree everyone should read as much information as possible but it worked for my hubby extremely well and he isn't on any meds for his diabetes

Reading the links above makes berberine sound a bit of a wonder solution, I may try it but will consult my gp first!

It didn't effect my husbands Muscle gain, as i said he started taking it as part of his Cancer arsenal but also has Diabetes, he has taken it for almost 3 years, and he visits the gym 5 times a week his muscle gain is very noticeable

I agree everyone should read as much information as possible but it worked for my hubby extremely well and he isn't on any meds for his diabetes

That's interesting, there may be a confounder.
May be it's because I don't make as much insulin or may be because at about the same time I stopped intermittent fasting.

Reading the links above makes berberine sound a bit of a wonder solution, I may try it but will consult my gp first!

It's an isoquinolinium positively charged nitrogen atom (I always wanted to say that).
Inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP IV) is one of the mechanisms explaining the hypoglycemic effect of berberine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back