Benacol Yoghurts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone tell me if it's ok to eat these cholesterol lowering yoghurts or would I be better eating ordinary lower sugar ones.

Can anyone tell me if it's ok to eat these cholesterol lowering yoghurts or would I be better eating ordinary lower sugar ones.

Dear Sebstar,

Why not give them a try and monitor what they do to your blood sugar, if they don't raise it much go ahead - the cholesterol lowering properties are irrelevent, if you really want to lower cholesterol, statins work better. Personally, I believe that higher cholersterol is not a problem especially in the elderly or in women but my view is in the minority.

Regards Dodger

I actually take their yogurt drinks hoping that they are actually doing some good. The drinks only contain about 4g CHO whereas the yogurts conaton about 20g. Also Benecol recommend 2 - 3 yogurts a day to gain the full benefit whereas they only recommend one yogurt drink a day. I would go for the drink myself.

Give them a try and see how you get on. You could aways contact them and see if a reduced or sugar free version is available anywhere and then ask if the supermarket or shop you use would stock it. You never know what you might get until you ask.

I can only say that i have had real bother with yoguurts i have to avoid most as they make me hyper but i have found the benocol drinks that falcon mentioned have been ok.

Has any one thought of making their own yoghurt? That way you get to cintrol what goes into it. I have a yoghurt maker that I tip boiling water into and then put a jar of yoghurt mix in to 'cook'. It's great fun and the one I have comes with recipe books too.

Has any one thought of making their own yoghurt? That way you get to cintrol what goes into it. I have a yoghurt maker that I tip boiling water into and then put a jar of yoghurt mix in to 'cook'. It's great fun and the one I have comes with recipe books too.

weirdly caroline i have just asked you about a yoghurt maker in your easter thread lol 😉

weirdly caroline i have just asked you about a yoghurt maker in your easter thread lol 😉

I just put details in the Easter Egg thread if anyone else is considering getting one. Have a look at the web site anyway and then decide.

I actually take their yogurt drinks hoping that they are actually doing some good. The drinks only contain about 4g CHO whereas the yogurts conaton about 20g. Also Benecol recommend 2 - 3 yogurts a day to gain the full benefit whereas they only recommend one yogurt drink a day. I would go for the drink myself.

I don't mean to alarm you, but have you checked the sugar content in these.
I thought it was high.

I aways have fat free yoghurts - but again have to keep an eye on the sugars as normally low fat = higher sugar. I switch brands every couple of months so they don't get boring. But heck out the sugars on them all first.

I thought it was high.

I aways have fat free yoghurts - but again have to keep an eye on the sugars as normally low fat = higher sugar. I switch brands every couple of months so they don't get boring. But heck out the sugars on them all first.

yup thats the prob i had with looking for the lower fat ones i was getting caught in the trap of the sugar content and getting hypers, with the drinkk i have been fine .

I thought it was high.

Some brands do make a lower or no sugar variety so it is always worth checking.

It was actually a dental hygenist that pointed out the ammount of suagr in low fat yoghurts to me about 10 years ago, and I have been checking sugar and salt in anything low fat ever since!

The dairy free Benecol drinks have 1.9 to 2.1g carb per mini-bottle - the other Benecol drinks have higher carb content, up to about 10g or thereabouts. I always look for the dairy free type but it's hard to find in my area (Asda have it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back