Belly ache after some meals and best levels to be between..

Status
Not open for further replies.

spence

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. Does anyone experience a slight belly ache after eating some times?. Also is it best to keep your levels between 5 and 9? I have heard various things. Thank you.

I don’t regularly get stomach ache after eating @spence - how long has this been happening?

In general the recommended optimum levels seem to be 5-7 before breakfast, 4-7 before other meals and no higher than 9 by 2hrs after eating.

However the International Consensus on Time In Range, for those wearing sensors, suggests optimum results are approx <4% of time below 4.0 (ideally as little as possible); >70% between 4-10; and no more than 26% of time above 10. So you can actually spend quite a bit of time slightly above your upper limit and still have an on-target HbA1c. 🙂

It was after shredded cereal but also after oxtail soup today.
Hi Spence,

Does it contain wheat/barley etc. Heinz oxtail soup does. If in doubt, perhpas try a week gluten free, read the labels for help and avoid, wheat bread, wheat pasta, wheat cereals, wheat biscuits, etc, etc. beer also.

I agree with @Amity Island, wheat is the common ingredient between Tinned oxtail soup and shredded cereal, so that might well be a cause of the problem. First, try the "Free from" section of the supermarket. Then if you find the problems go away, you have your answer. Bread is the thing that will cause most symptoms if that is the case.

Hi Spence,

Does it contain wheat/barley etc. Heinz oxtail soup does. If in doubt, perhpas try a week gluten free, read the labels for help and avoid, wheat bread, wheat pasta, wheat cereals, wheat biscuits, etc, etc. beer also.

Amity Island, if gluten is the problem, it takes much longer than a week to get it out of the system.

For myself, if I am "glutened" in error it takes about 3 weeks before i revert to my own normal. When a gluten free trial is advised it's usually a minimum of 6 weeks, sometimes 3 months, depending who is advising. For my Endo it was just ditch it plain and simple - actually on the basis many, many people with auto-immune challenges do better without gluten in their lives.

@spence - have you made any changes to your diet, and/or have your levels been running a bit high?

It was after shredded cereal but also after oxtail soup today.

Did you have a blood test for coeliac disease when you were diagnosed? I think I’d pursue that if not. You have to carry on eating gluten before such a test.

Amity Island, if gluten is the problem, it takes much longer than a week to get it out of the system.

For myself, if I am "glutened" in error it takes about 3 weeks before i revert to my own normal. When a gluten free trial is advised it's usually a minimum of 6 weeks, sometimes 3 months, depending who is advising. For my Endo it was just ditch it plain and simple - actually on the basis many, many people with auto-immune challenges do better without gluten in their lives.

@spence - have you made any changes to your diet, and/or have your levels been running a bit high?
Hi @AndBreathe

It depends on whether it's gluten intolerance or coeliac. I've seen many, many people suffer terribly with both gluten intolerance and coeliac and in all instances, leaving them to suffer for months and months. It seems to be so common now, that's why my first response was about was it about wheat.

@Inka is quite right about needing to be actively consuming gluten if a screening for coeliac is sought.

@spence it looks like a visit to the g.p is best way forward. Best to get tested before you stop all wheat, then if it comes back negative for coeliac you could try eliminating wheat to see if this stops the stomach pain after eating due to intolerance rather than coeliac. May be something else though, but gluten intolerance is very common.

Hi guys. Does anyone experience a slight belly ache after eating some times?. Also is it best to keep your levels between 5 and 9? I have heard various things. Thank you.
Has this always happened, or is it recent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back