Being forced to change my BSG meter

Wendiferous

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I have been informed by my GP surgery that I have to change my BSG monitoring meter as they will no longer provide strips for the Accu-check mobile I have been using for the last 15 years. Is this happening elsewhere? The one they suggest replacing it with is a GlucoRx one, which uses individual test strips and looks a lot less convenient. I was hoping to have a combined ketone and BSG meter but they have refused to provide a ketone meter, so recommendations on those would be welcome as well, so I can purchase my own. Are others given choice over what meter they use or are we all now being told there are no options?

At my last review the DN told me that if my Accu check Nano failed then it would be replaced by something else. In the meantime, they will continue to prescribe strips since it seems Accucheck are still making them. If and when they stop doing that, I'll go with the flow and take whatever meter our surgery wants to offer. I take the view that in terms of getting a blood glucose level, they are all as good (optimist),or as bad (pessimist), as each other.

Have you a history of high ketones? For me, the odd test done in the surgery has not raised any flags and as such, a ketone meter is something I have never really thought about, even though I like measuring things

I have been informed by my GP surgery that I have to change my BSG monitoring meter as they will no longer provide strips for the Accu-check mobile I have been using for the last 15 years. Is this happening elsewhere? The one they suggest replacing it with is a GlucoRx one, which uses individual test strips and looks a lot less convenient. I was hoping to have a combined ketone and BSG meter but they have refused to provide a ketone meter, so recommendations on those would be welcome as well, so I can purchase my own. Are others given choice over what meter they use or are we all now being told there are no options?
I'm using a Gluco Rx Q meter. My surgery gave it to me when I was diagnosed, though I no longer get lancets and test strips on prescription and am self-funding. Not sure what you mean by a lot less convenient - it takes me seconds to do a test.

I think the one she uses has the test strips in a cassette hence you don't have to physically touch them other than to apply your blood. Nothing to remove and chuck in the bin after testing. And they are a nuisance to get rid of now nowhere automatically always has ashtrays! - have always used ashtrays meself both at home and when out. I still have ashtrays since they don't disappear even when you no longer smoke but bin Stourbridge cut glass? - I don't think so, dearie!

Anyway - Accu Chek test strips cost silly money - like mine are over £20 a pot if I ever accidentally run out and although Yes I know the NHS pay less - but they will still be commensurately more expensive than strips which are cheaper to start with.

Like Martin - my brain wants to ask you Why would you be prone to ketones? - I've only had them when ill in hospital!

Last edited:
This sounds normal to me, my practice use the wavesense jazz so everyone was switched to that.

Is there a specific reason why their recommended meter would not work to you? Eg if you have a hand problem that means you could open a pot but not individually wrapped strips? Or is it just that you don’t like the idea of change?

If there’s a specific reason it won’t work for you, then let your GP practice know your requirements and see if there’s a different meter they can fund instead.

Also agree that unless you are on multiple insulin injections a day you don’t need blood ketone strips. If you’re on a flozin then worth having some urine ketone strips though.

Trophywrench is right - the cassettes in my current meter do 50 tests and I don't have to carry around test strips or dispose of them - bad for the environment and a nuisance to fit - hence why I chose my current meter in the first place. The cassettes do not appear to be much higher cost now that the alternative test strips for the other meter from Internet prices, although I suspect the local health service has a negotiated price on the new ones.

I want to check ketones following advice on this forum which suggested I may have been out of kilter due to combination of diet and medication. Whilst I'm happy to fund that myself I would like to continue with provision of my current BSG test strips if possible.

Trophywrench is right - the cassettes in my current meter do 50 tests and I don't have to carry around test strips or dispose of them - bad for the environment and a nuisance to fit - hence why I chose my current meter in the first place. The cassettes do not appear to be much higher cost now that the alternative test strips for the other meter from Internet prices, although I suspect the local health service has a negotiated price on the new ones.

I want to check ketones following advice on this forum which suggested I may have been out of kilter due to combination of diet and medication. Whilst I'm happy to fund that myself I would like to continue with provision of my current BSG test strips if possible.
This sounds like a personal preference rather than a medical need for your current specific meter so I suggest switching to the one your GP practice advise.

At my last review the DN told me that if my Accu check Nano failed then it would be replaced by something else. In the meantime, they will continue to prescribe strips since it seems Accucheck are still making them. If and when they stop doing that, I'll go with the flow and take whatever meter our surgery wants to offer. I take the view that in terms of getting a blood glucose level, they are all as good (optimist),or as bad (pessimist), as each other.

Have you a history of high ketones? For me, the odd test done in the surgery has not raised any flags and as such, a ketone meter is something I have never really thought about, even though I like measuring things

I found an unused additional Nano on Ebay for under £30. Still in shrink wrap. This one is for the car as being required by the DVLA.

I have a Glucofix Tech GK which does BG and Ketones (with the relevant strips of course) and I'm fortunate enough to get all the strips etc. on prescription - everyone should be entitled to them IMO

The Accu-Chek mobile has been discontinued. I can’t remember if it was a year or two ago now, but I think there were some forum threads at the time.

There are cassettes still available - but I slightly suspect Accu-Chek will wind down production over the next year or two as the last of the mobiles get to be 4-5 years old?

Ketones are less usual in T2D, unless of the dietary variety. Though as @Lucyr says, they can be problematic if on one of the ‘flozin class of meds

This sounds normal to me, my practice use the wavesense jazz so everyone was switched to that.

Is there a specific reason why their recommended meter would not work to you? Eg if you have a hand problem that means you could open a pot but not individually wrapped strips? Or is it just that you don’t like the idea of change?

If there’s a specific reason it won’t work for you, then let your GP practice know your requirements and see if there’s a different meter they can fund instead.
How do you find the jazz? I find screens to small for me to read. I have one in car as DVLA now want but use contour blue plus as clearer for me to see. Both strips available on prescription I buy jazz as rarely use them.

@Dragon queen and @victorhamesse Take care keeping meters in the car. They can get damaged by extreme temperatures (both hot and cold) and the test strips can go out of date.
If you are taking insulin, it is better to keep a meter and strips with you all the time rather than relying on something hidden away in your glove box still working and having in date strips.

I was on a glucorx meter and strips, but was switched to the 4sure smart duo last year by my GP surgery. I like it as it is smaller and lighter and as I only finger prick if I think my libre isn't accurate , the strips last me for ages.

How do you find the jazz? I find screens to small for me to read. I have one in car as DVLA now want but use contour blue plus as clearer for me to see. Both strips available on prescription I buy jazz as rarely use them.
Find it fine. Annoying in cold weather, and annoying that the beep can’t be turned off, but no problems with it. The screen is fairly big on the standard one but I have the mini Bluetooth one.

I am pleased to report that my GP surgery has agreed to continue to fund the cassettes for my current meter, at least for the time being - a very helpful response from them. 🙂

Back