Been very silly until now, a fresh start!

Suef

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Been diagnosed 4 years but never took it seriously until this last year.
Been taking Metheringham measures regularly and never had any problems . Because it never compromised my life in any way I just carried on regardless.
Last summer we put our house on the market and its been so stressful, and with lockdown its made life quite difficult.
I'm not sure if its the stress or my diabetes has gotten worse but my blood sugars seem to be out of control. Regularly up and then back normal.
Any advise. My diabetic nurse is horrid, not very approachable.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Suef and sorry to hear your blood sugars aren't good. Stress can certainly cause spikes in your glucose. Have your eating habits changed at all? I know several people have suffered in this way during lock-down and moving house is right up there near the top of the stress list!

I'm sure there will be more experienced people along soon to share their thoughts with you. It's a shame your DN isn't approachable. I'm lucky as mine is terrific but it's a mixed bag of nurses out there.

Suef

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Vonny
Thanks for that. Its great to be on here, don't feel so bad now as I can share how I'm feeling.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Suef . Give us an idea of what BG you use 'normal' to describe, how high above that they spike to, and when this usually happens please, to try and get an idea of what could help. Help possibly or probably or definitely :D

Suef

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Trophywench.
I'm using Fine test Lite BG test strips.
Of late the readings have been all over the place, from waking its been 8.9 and then before lunch 13.3 then 8.2 before bed.
I've been quite steady today after receiving good news regarding house move. Which makes me think this is all stress related.
My husband wfh and has a demanding job. I'm on my own all day every day, not going out cos of restrictions which doesn't help.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, does sound like it's stress I agree - and worrying but not bad enough that you're going to drop dead suddenly.

Are the readings showing promising signs of coming down today then?

Last edited by a moderator:

Suef

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Are the readings showing promising signs of coming down today then?

Not sure what you mean here.
Maybe.
I'm trying to stay occupied . Hopefully this will all end soon.

Not sure I'm on the right site to help me here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maca44

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello,
Did you make diet changes 4yrs ago or just let the meds take control ?. If you made no changes to diet then chances are that it just progressed. 8.9 first thing is above normal limits 8.9 I would expect post meal and even then it would be above but close to range. You are on the right site believe me and we are here to help you not upset you.

Can you post Pre and post meal BG reading and give us an idea of what your eating, so just before lunch then 2 hours later.

Suef

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much Maca44.

Yes, I was conscious of my diet when first diagnosed. But then life became very complicated. We moved from the North West to East Anglia with my dh job.
Trying to settle in, find a job, home sick, it took its toll I'm afraid but I'm , hopefully, back on track and following a low carb high fat diet.
Will post later my BG levels.
I just need to be able to talk thru my probs with others in similar situations. No family near so difficult.

Maca44

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have used food as a comfort most of my life so weight has been up & down, lost count of the amount of fad diets I've been on so it's all caught up with me in November 2020 with a very high HbA1c blood test. Think I have had diabetes for a long time without knowing or not wanting to know. I also suffer from Anxiety & at times, severe depression so high carb food was used as comfort but I'm 56yrs now and this has frightened the life out of me so have learnt that making small changes with food and now I have BG under control with Metformin and I test my BG when I wake then 2 hours after breakfast then the same with dinner, It is worth doing as you get a very clear picture of how much carbs affect my readings so I am beginning to understand how my body reacts to food with the help of the guys & girls here.

Without being able to share your feelings your going to be tempted to eat the wrong things and I totally understand that as this has been my behaviour most of my life but after making small but significant changes to what I eat my mood is so much better. This website has been such a big help for me because my local diabetic nurses have simply not contacted me and I can't leave a message for them to call me so I was out on my own until I joined up here, very helpful people.

Sorry to go on but just keep posting.

Suef

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I understand totally were your coming from. I'm a very insecure person, insecure from an abusive mother. Used food as a comfort and, like you, must have been pre diabetic/ diabetic for a while before diagnosis.
We are hoping to move closer to our youngest daughter and grandsons which im so looking forward to for obvious reasons.
I am determined to get the better of this and appreciate your comments, thank you!
Will stay in touch.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Suef

Sorry to hear you don’t have a very positive relationship with your diabetes nurse, but great news that you have started to give it the attention it needs.

Stress certainly does have a reputation for messing with blood glucose levels, so your house-move could well have had an impact.

Great that you have access to BG strips.

Ideally you will ultimately be looking to bring your BGs down from the levels you’ve mentioned. It’s a good plan to make small and sustainable changes as you try to do that, to try to bring your BGs into a normal range over a period of time rather than all at once, because rapid changes can put pressure on your fine blood vessels.

Many members here find a ‘test review adjust’ framework a helpful approach in terms of examining the BG effects of your current meals.

Test, Review, Adjust by Alan S

Keep asking questions and members can give you lots of pointers and moral support.