Been stupid now scared

Basten

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
for a long time i ate too much chocolate .i was pre hba1c 44. i still kept eating huge amounts and cream cakes . im being tested again tuesday. kidneys liver etc. kidneys werent brill before but no concern. i know the results will be diabetic . my sugars going to bed were 22.2 .slept 12 to 9,20. waking sugars 8.4. im quite immobile . for various reasons. i am on 2 bp meds for hypertension . i dont drink enough water . my dad had artherslorosis? and dropped dead 63. my ears hiss . i have gastritis . Im writing this still in bed 11 am. i feel numb and dont want to eat. eat chocolate and pulse fast. im due to wear a heart monitor . i have some furring due to old age and slight aortic stenosis .told see me again in 3 years. i wont be here. im also on a med which has caused depression .its hell to get off , ive tried . im overweight now. my ears hiss.

Sounds like you've got lots to cope with @Basten. If you ever want to chat things through, our helpline will be more than happy to offer support. https://www.diabetes.org.uk/support-for-you/helpline

Some of the things you've mentioned sound out of your control. What things do you think are possible for you to change?

The ears hissing may well be tinnitus. Many of us "endure" it and I believe as diabetics we are more prone to it. Sadly, it seems to be something you learn to live with and I can filter it out some of the time but other times it is quite irritating, but I don't think it is anything to be overly worried about or life threatening, just distracting and irritating. Hopefully that is all that it is with you. Mine is more a quite high pitched whine than a true hissing but I think people experience it differently and sometimes probably often mine pulses with my heart beat, which I think can be scary for some people.

I can relate to the chocolate problem. I was a sugar addict and chocoholic and comfort eater pre-diagnosis and it was not unusual for me to have a whole multipack of Snickers in one afternoon or sit down with a can of condensed milk and a spoon if I was struggling mentally and eat the whole tin. I can also relate to the raised heart rate after eating too much sweet stuff and that can be scary. I am lucky in that, when I was diagnosed, my mentality is such that the shame of "doing this to myself" was the kick up the backside I needed to try to quit and going low carb helped to stop the cravings and then going on to insulin and having to think about and inject for everything I put in my mouth, has kept me mostly on the straight and narrow and I don't find it too difficult to stay there and I am mostly a lot healthier for it. Exercise has also been an important part of this both for my mental health and physically. Mostly I just walk. If I can't make it out of the house, I walk or run up and down stairs as many times as I can or do other exercises. My advice is to start small and make slow steady changes and improvements and don't let any slips derail you. Get straight back on the wagon. You can improve things, but you need to find the little steps to make that change. Try not to look at how much you need to change but just make one positive change no matter how small and then when that change become a habit and part of your daily life, then make another or increase that change. So, it might be changing your breakfast to something lower carb or it might be walking up and down stairs 5 times on the trot each day. It only takes 5 or 10 mins. Then once you can do that once a day, try to do it twice a day. These are just examples, but just look at where you can make one small change and try to do that every day. Gradually the changes become easier and it just becomes your new life.
Wishing you lots of luck with making some changes. It really is worth it.

My ear have a full range of sounds, tinnitus is not nice. Having the tv or radio on quietly may help distract from the noise in your ears.

Do you do your own shopping? If so perhaps you can try ordering less chocolate. If it is not in the house, then you cannot eat it. Maybe there is something else you also enjoy which is not too sweet / sugary and you can buy some of that as a treat instead?

As @rebrascora says - one change at a time, one step in the right direction at a time, slowly working towards a healthier you.

Last edited:
The ears hissing may well be tinnitus. Many of us "endure" it and I believe as diabetics we are more prone to it. Sadly, it seems to be something you learn to live with and I can filter it out some of the time but other times it is quite irritating, but I don't think it is anything to be overly worried about or life threatening, just distracting and irritating. Hopefully that is all that it is with you. Mine is more a quite high pitched whine than a true hissing but I think people experience it differently and sometimes probably often mine pulses with my heart beat, which I think can be scary for some people.

I can relate to the chocolate problem. I was a sugar addict and chocoholic and comfort eater pre-diagnosis and it was not unusual for me to have a whole multipack of Snickers in one afternoon or sit down with a can of condensed milk and a spoon if I was struggling mentally and eat the whole tin. I can also relate to the raised heart rate after eating too much sweet stuff and that can be scary. I am lucky in that, when I was diagnosed, my mentality is such that the shame of "doing this to myself" was the kick up the backside I needed to try to quit and going low carb helped to stop the cravings and then going on to insulin and having to think about and inject for everything I put in my mouth, has kept me mostly on the straight and narrow and I don't find it too difficult to stay there and I am mostly a lot healthier for it. Exercise has also been an important part of this both for my mental health and physically. Mostly I just walk. If I can't make it out of the house, I walk or run up and down stairs as many times as I can or do other exercises. My advice is to start small and make slow steady changes and improvements and don't let any slips derail you. Get straight back on the wagon. You can improve things, but you need to find the little steps to make that change. Try not to look at how much you need to change but just make one positive change no matter how small and then when that change become a habit and part of your daily life, then make another or increase that change. So, it might be changing your breakfast to something lower carb or it might be walking up and down stairs 5 times on the trot each day. It only takes 5 or 10 mins. Then once you can do that once a day, try to do it twice a day. These are just examples, but just look at where you can make one small change and try to do that every day. Gradually the changes become easier and it just becomes your new life.
Wishing you lots of luck with making some changes. It really is worth it.
thankyou .you sound like me re eating . i havent brought any biscuits choc or cake now .i bloat on them anyway plus other foods ive stopped not sibo . i dont have stairs lol i was once a binge alcoholic and it got that one wasnt enough like the drink . i sort do it and without thinking sometimes . i can manage to walk to shop and its like having blinkers on ..no i say . then i buy it . i live alone and yes hard , i know my results wont be good as had an itch on my foot 2 weeks ago and the scab from scratching is still there . im now 11stone was 10 . but am on an antidepressant which put some weight on..i feel so guilty . my old friend was type 1 but gestational . my aunt was diabetic. both passed from different cancers. I am going to have to try to cook something i hate but have frozen meals a lot . I try if i can manage to walk to shops i use the traffic lights on the meals. sometimes i do add say green veg to them. I suffer from slow bowel transit from meds and fibre makes it worse . i have to use laxatives plus senna . nothing else helps. .i can walk round bungalow . but due to a bad hip i definitely can't run. the ear hissing comes and goes . seems worse when digesting .odd i know .but definitely when ate sweet stuff . . im not a fruit lover. . my gastritis can sometimes play up anyway eating choc .and some fruits. irritate it. . yes a lot of experimenting needed.

Sounds like you've got lots to cope with @Basten. If you ever want to chat things through, our helpline will be more than happy to offer support. https://www.diabetes.org.uk/support-for-you/helpline

Some of the things you've mentioned sound out of your control. What things do you think are possible for you to change?
me!! thank you I have emailed diabetic help line and they've sent some useful links and info. i am not very active which doesn't help.

Back