Been a bit cheeky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All, a long time ago, pre pandemic, I was a mis diagnosed type 2 diabetic and had been referred to the Diabetes clinic at my local hospital. I had one appointment and another booked, then covid hit and my care was transferred back to my gp surgery.
About a year later after getting properly diagnosed as Type 1 I enquired about getting referred back to the Diabetes clinic only to be told " we only refer people who are struggling to manage their levels and you seem to be doing OK ".
This is true, I do seem to be doing OK, but would still have liked to be able to discuss things with the consultant and his team at the Diabetes clinic.
So yesterday I emailed the clinic directly and had a reply back today saying that I have been added to their appointment list, and although it may be a bit of a wait, I will be able to book an appointment to see the consultant and his team and in the meantime feel free to contact them by phone if I have any problems.
Feel a bit naughty bypassing my gp this way
But really pleased with the outcome.
Martin.

Feel a bit naughty bypassing my gp this way
Your GP got it wrong. It's important to get the right training and so on, not just when you start failing. So (obviously because of the misdiagnosis) you fell through the gaps and got put in the wrong bucket. I'd hope your GP will be understanding when you next have contact.

Your GP got it wrong. It's important to get the right training and so on, not just when you start failing. So (obviously because of the misdiagnosis) you fell through the gaps and got put in the wrong bucket. I'd hope your GP will be understanding

Your GP got it wrong. It's important to get the right training and so on, not just when you start failing. So (obviously because of the misdiagnosis) you fell through the gaps and got put in the wrong bucket. I'd hope your GP will be understanding when you next have contact.
Hi Bruce, the diabetes clinic also invited me to join their educational course this month which is once a week for 3 weeks , 3 hours per session on a Tuesday.
Unfortunately I cannot attend as I work permanent nights but I am doing the online BERTIE course, which is very educational.

That's a bit of a shame really Martin in some ways, because you get quite a bit of 1:1 with the clinic nurses and other staff, as well as proper interaction with other T1s, and learning shedloads of jolly useful stuff, so then because you know them and that they are collectively your mates, you can engage properly with them all when you have clinic appointments. Always makes me happy when I walk through the door - first thing me and the receptionist both say is 'Hi Jen - how are you? - and both laugh. But you'll get there, anyway.

Good to hear that you got the proper diagnosis in the end, I had the same once they did some more tests it was confirmed as Type 1, good luck with your future appointments, always take a notebook with you to write notes and any questions you have once back to 1:1 meetings, as I always forget to ask things!!

I'm already composing a list of questions or things I would like to change or need, for my next appointment and I don't have a date for it yet! It is such a short space of time I think it is important to go into it with an idea of what you want to achieve from it as well as possibly taking notes of the instructions/guidance they give you..... or asking if it is OK to record the appointment so that you can refer back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back