Bedtime 'has huge impact on sport'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Our internal body clock has such a dramatic impact on sporting ability that it could alter the chances of Olympic gold, say researchers.

The team at the University of Birmingham showed performance times varied by 26% throughout the day.

Early risers reached their athletic peak around lunchtime, while night owls were best in the evening.

The researchers say it could even explain why Spanish teams have more success in European football.

The body clock controls everything - from alertness to the risk of a heart attack - in a daily rhythm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30957720

I watched an Horizon programme last night about the body clock, and they had a dietician on who said that we are more insulin-resistant in the evening as our bodies prepare for sleep. Rubbish! I know for a fact that I am much more insulin-sensitive in the evenings! 🙄

Remember it's about population studies, Northerner. If the dietician was quoted in full or allowed to give a full explanation, they would probably say something like "most people are more insulin resistant in late evening as they prepare for sleep, compared to earlier in the day / morning time". Most people doesn't mean everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back