Bed time BMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good evening all. Quick question, what is the minimum BM one should go to sleep with? I'm on basal/bolus and got rudely awoken by my hypo alarm at 3am yesterday. BM was 7.6 when I went to bed around 11pm. Hoping for an uninterruptednight sleep tonight. Thanks muchly!

Do you have a Libre? Did you check your arrows when testing before bed?
I was told not to go to bed below 8.0 but I’m happy to go bed at 7.0 - should it be a little lower a quick biscuit before bed or similar will keep everything hunky dory

Thanks. I have a libre and normally my arrow is horizontal before bed, but will have myself a little snack now, as I'm going to have an early night and I'm currentlysitting at 6.6

On pens liked to be above 6 preferably 7, since changing to pump & ability to have different basal rates during night happy to go to bed above mid 5s, plus have libre 2 with low bg alarm so well covered.

For me, my acceptable bedtime level is not a fixed number. It is dependent on a few things
- how much active bolus insulin do I still have active in my body? I try to eat more than 4 hours before going to bed but some meals require a second jab so I may still have some active bolus.
- what did I last eat? Pasta and pizza can have a late spike (5 or 6 hours after eating)
- how much exercise have I done today? If I have done a lot of exercise there is a greater risk of my levels falling.
- what direction is my Libre trend. By this, I mean looking at the graphs rather than just the arrow as I find the arrow only looks at the last one or two readings and my levels tend to bounce around a little so, whilst they may be level in the last 15 minutes, they may still be heading down.

If the wind is in the right direction, I am happy to go to bed with levels in the 5s but I consider the other points before deciding to knock my levels up a little.

Last edited:
Before I had Libre, I used to target 7 or greater before going to sleep. I'm a T3c following a total pancreatectomy and so had extremely erratic BG behaviour, yo-yoing from low to high and rapidly back to low again.

Once I got Libre, I reduced that to 6 or greater, and at that stage I was on Levermir as my basal, taken twice daily. Because Levermir is a relatively flexible insulin I saw, from my Libre overnight plots, that sometimes my BG was steady during the night and sometimes I went mildly hypo. I couldn't work out why:
But I was regaining fitness and thus more active, on an irregular basis; so was earlier activity that day (or even from the previous day) causing BG falls?
Also my diet was (still is) very varied, so possibly some foods were digesting more slowly and thus continuing to release glucose while I slept, whereas on other nights digestion was (perhaps) complete before I slept and so was my basal too strong for that night?

Before I got to the bottom of this, I made 2 further changes. Firstly at my request my DSN switched me from Levermir to Tresiba, a less flexible basal taken once daily (8am for me). Secondly I found and set up the Diabox app which gave me Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) along with better alarms than Libre. The consequence has been:
My basal, after a settling down period, is at present very steady during periods of fasting, eg while sleeping. (I am considering a 1/2 unit reduction as the warmer weather continues, but not just yet).
My improved monitoring by CGM and dual low alarms leaves me more confident in my monitoring so I feel much more content to go to sleep when my BG is 5+. Below that I eat a small biscuit, 5-6 gm; and if above 8 I take a small bolus correction targeting back to 6. I have the NovoEcho pen allowing 1/2 unit dosing.

So your question is very sensible (safe). The answer, in my opinion, initially depends on what your basal insulin is. If a shorter life basal such as Levermir, then your BG is possibly more susceptible to night time changes and thus a slightly greater margin of cover is needed while you sleep. And with Levermir some people choose to make regular changes to their basal dosing as part of their BG control. On a less flexible basal that control can only be done by bolus dosing (or snacks, as appropriate), since a basal adjustment takes 3 or more days to have an effect.

I'm afraid diabetes is complicated, confusing and contradictory. But with time and diligence it is possible to get some understanding and that experience helps you to judge what works for you. That said I still have stupid, inexplicable days! But I'm only 2 years into this new lifestyle.

I wonder whether your basal dose might need tweaking @Sunshine81

Mine has needed to come down a notch as Spring has begun to emerge.

Basal checking would help you see how steady your basal is keeping your levels when your bolus doses have finished working and you have no carbs on board.

Having a Libre makes this much easier to monitor as you should be able to just watch the trace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back