Bed Blocking Is Bringing NHS 'To Its Knees'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Bed blocking in NHS hospitals has reached its highest level for four years, amid warnings that a lack of social care is bringing the health service "to its knees", a Sky News investigation has found.

Every day, doctors and nurses in England are unable to discharge more than 1,000 patients who no longer need treatment because there is no care available for them at home or in the community, figures suggest.

Analysis of the latest health service statistics by Sky News shows that on one day in September, 4,966 patients were unable to be transferred either to other parts of the NHS or into the care of local authorities – the highest level since September 2010.

That month, 138,068 days of care were lost because of "delayed transfers of care". At £250 a day for a hospital bed, that suggests the NHS is wasting more than £34m a month looking after patients who no longer need to be there.

http://news.sky.com/story/1375217/bed-blocking-is-bringing-nhs-to-its-knees

Well they aren't wasting it, since they have no choice but to spend it, have they?

They know how difficult it is to arrange care. Even if spaces are available, you really are on your own. If you are lucky, they give you a list of places locally. Then you have to contact them, see if they have space for a person with your relatives condition(s) and then go and visit the place at a time convenient to that home. This doesn't very often coincide with what may be convenient for either you or your employer. Me and my sister - assistant manager in a sportswear shop and an insurance broker - weren't offered guidance or training in how to spot a 'nice' home or what facilities should be on offer. Clueless. But several failed the moment they opened the door since the smell of errr, ammonia greeted us.

Bloody nightmare and they badger you incessantly when you go to visit your mum etc, because they are under pressure to kick her out.

That was God - how long ago? in the 1990's so I'm damned sure it hasn't changed.

Criticise all you like, Sky or the tabloid press, it doesn't need to be brought to our attention cos we already flippingwell know and so do the people who are sposed to fund it - YOU try making them do something, cos we certainly can't.

There was a lady on my ward who had been there for twelve months, she was refusing to eat at that point, she had a son but he clearly couldn't look after her, but he came every single night to sit with her. It was heartbreaking, the staff were trying their hardest to try and engage with her but she was obviously desperately depressed. One of the nurses told me she'd likely be there indefinitely because the only care facility who could take her was full to capacity with a huge waiting list. No life at all really, and desperately sad. The situation will only get worse since we're all living longer and families are further apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back