Bear Grylls Survival Race - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cevans23

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I am doing a 10k survival race for JDRF on Saturday and just after some advice/words of wisdom from you guys. I have done a fair bit of excercise since being diagnosed 18 months ago (lots of surfing, mountain walking, football, cycling, gym, etc) but not anything quite as intense as this is going to be.

My race is at 1:30pm so my plan is to:

Normal carb breakfast (porridge) @ 9am - Normal Bolus
10am - Basal (Levemir) normally take 10-12 at this time but considering 8 units for this day
1:00pm - Cereal bar and possibly some lucozade before the race depending on BG levels
1:25 final BG check

The plan is to not have any bolus in me at all for the race.

Does anyone have any ideas or possible experiences that may help? Its going to be a trial and error and i'm not expecting a decent time as will allow for possible stop and BG checks throughout.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Sounds a good plan. Do you take just one basal dose per day at 10am? It make sense to reduce this dose as you will need less insulin in the hours after the race. If 9am is your usual breakfast time, then it's fine to stay with that, but an earlier breakfast might be a good idea if possible. Personally, I'd reduce my bolus before a race, even though insulin should be out of your system by the time you race. I alway use abdomen for bolus injections, but it's even more important to avoid legs or arms before exercise involving those limbs.
Make sure you have easy to access sweets / ceral bar / lucozade etc for during / imeediately after the race. Personally, I like fruit pouches, particularly those that contain banana, cereal, yogurt etc (berry based pouches are lower sugar), which are intended for weaning toddlers. Pouches are much cheaper and nicer tasting than sports gels, plus they have lids, so you don't end up with a torn pack with a sticky hole. They're pretty robust, so can survive being squashed as you climb over obstacles etc.

Thanks Copepod, no reason why i cant breakfast earlier. Intrigued by these fruit pouches? As in the baby food?

Yes, in the baby food area of supermarkets. Usually there's a range of 80g, 100g and 120g pouches by various manufacturers. Own brands are usually cheapest, but sometime offers such as 5 for price of 4 make branded pouches best value.

Something to also bear in mind is with the stress and excitement of it all the chances of an adrenaline rush and your liver releasing glucose with the effect of your bg actually rising during the race. If that happened I wouldn't normally recommend correcting but it is something to keep an eye on.

Good luck with the race and I hope you raise you lots of money for JDRF. 🙂

Good luck on Saturday. Let us know how it goes. 🙂

Good luck, Chris!😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back